yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4582 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 17 of 18
08 May 2014 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
I'd quite like to try computer programming. But I have no idea if I'd have any interest
in it nor aptitude. Is there any particular code or website that you'd recommend for
someone to 'dip their toe in the water'?
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 18 of 18
09 May 2014 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
In a place like Canada we recognize English & French as official languages. You would speak either 1 or the other
depending on the part of the country. There are certain number of jobs that are posted as bilingual even technical
jobs. Part of the reason is that the company deal with customers in Quebec (French-speaking) and the rest of the
country (English-speaking). There are jobs for the federal government in Ottawa or in Sudbury (processing income
tax info) that require applicants to be bilingual. The other reason of posting a job as bilingual is to narrow down the
number of applicants who are qualified for a job. Even when a job doesn't really require you to know 2 languages,
being able to speak both fluently would put your credentials ahead of the monolinguals.

I once worked at a Canada Employment Centre. We used to get job seekers of different nationalities, some are not
very fluent in English. Although the position did not specify that you have to know another language beside English,
I was responsible in translating for the Chinese job seekers while the Romanian lady in the office would talk to the
Italians who had limited English.

Edited by shk00design on 09 May 2014 at 3:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version