Diglot
United States
Joined 5946 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 9 of 18
08 March 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Ichiro wrote:
I went the programming route. That allowed me to work in Japan, where I learnt Japanese.
How long did it take you to learn programming?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 18
08 March 2014 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
If it's been three years and you still haven't learned it, I think it's best to consider what other practical skills you can learn. I'd say programming is a hard field to break into as an adult. Most seem to start learning it as teenagers.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 11 of 18
08 March 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
If it's been three years and you still haven't learned it, I think it's best to consider what other
practical skills you can learn. I'd say programming is a hard field to break into as an adult. Most seem to start
learning it as teenagers.

Same would apply to translation. You don't just start learning a language as an adult hoping to become a translator
anytime soon.

If you want to code or translate one day and you are starting from scratch, it's possible. But you need to stop talking
about it and start learning. And you better be patient and determined because it will take you several years before
you begin to have any marketable value.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 18
09 March 2014 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
You can be useful as a coder a lot faster than you can be useful as a translator, but a competent professional level with a reasonable amount of breadth in either does take years. A lot of people need a website or a tool that does some simple calculations, while tasks of similar complexity for internal use can often be done with google translate (that is, if the company needs to understand something; if they put google-translated material out in public, they're severely misguided).

I've met some people who have worked professionally as programmers within 6 months of starting to code, as adults - you can learn a little, but well, in that amount of time. It's not the norm, but it's possible. With translating, I don't think that's possible, unless you already had an extremely high level in two languages, knowledge of a specific subject matter that you'll be translating texts about, strong writing skills, etc, and literally only had to learn how to translate.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 13 of 18
10 March 2014 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
What about learning programming for Android/iOs in order to develop language-learning
tools? Which path would one take?

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 14 of 18
10 March 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
What about learning programming for Android/iOs in order to develop language-
learning tools? Which path would one take?

That's a clever idea to put passion to work in a practical way.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5102 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 15 of 18
10 March 2014 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
What about learning programming for Android/iOs in order to develop language-learning tools? Which path would one take?

There are a couple of relatively easy to use tools for converting Web apps (HTML+Javascript) into Android, Windows and iOS apps. The best-known of these tools is Phonegap, which is free.

OTOH, there are already a gazillion language learning apps for smartphones out there...

If you're generally looking to combine your interest in programming languages and natural languages, check out the free Natural Language Toolkit (NLTK), which assumes almost no programming skills. (You'll need to be able to install Python and the NLTK files, but that's explained in great detail on the NLTK website and in the accompanying NLTK book (Natural Language Processing with Python --- Analyzing Text with the Natural Language Toolkit), which is also free.)

Edited by Doitsujin on 10 March 2014 at 9:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 16 of 18
10 March 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
What about learning programming for Android/iOs in order to develop
language-learning
tools? Which path would one take?

1. Learn to program
2. Learn to program for Android (or iOS)
3. Hack something together
4. ???
5. Profit

Or something like that. Learning about existing "language tools" is the easiest part I
would think.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version