Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3955 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 497 of 668
15 August 2014 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
It's really hard to change the language that you use with your significant other! My husband always answers
me in English. Drives me crazy!
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 498 of 668
16 August 2014 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
It is hard once you get into a habit, though. With some people it's just easier for me to speak Spanish, speaking English sounds really awkward. With a bit of effort i can get over it and get comfortable speaking in English, but at first it feels really weird and i always want to toss in Spanish words.

With people i didn't used to speak to in Spanish i can get by in a sort of Spanglish, jumping back and forth between the two or tossing a word or phrase from one language into the other, usually something that i've either forgotten or is just easier to express in the other language.

For a partner i imagine it's gotta be more difficult, especially if one language feels more intimate.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4062 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 499 of 668
16 August 2014 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
I should spend some more time with FSI. I understand what I read fairly well, but my grammar is quite lacking. The first few chapters look really simple though... I think that pushed me away a bit. However, I suppose that if I skip over the really easy chapters, then I could focus on the parts that I need help in.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 500 of 668
16 August 2014 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Lorren wrote:
... The first few chapters look really simple though... I think that pushed me away a bit. However, I suppose that if I skip over the really easy chapters, then I could focus on the parts that I need help in.

Just because a course may start with ¿Cómo está Ud.? doesn't mean you have to do the same. When I started learning Portuguese with DLI (similar to FSI) I jumped in at Unit 4 of my course for the same reason. Feel free to jump in where you feel it is appropriate. I did DLI for the drills at the same time I was engaging with the language in all facets. It was extremely helpful. I got to where I enjoyed and looked forward to the drills because I knew they were helping me so much with what I was reading, hearing, speaking and writing every day. So, when you jump in, stick with it, it takes time for the habit to form.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 501 of 668
16 August 2014 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Or, you could simply do each FSI lesson once until you get to a point where you feel you need to do it more than once. If you go through them just once quickly at one a day you can get half way through the entire course in less than a month.

I have actually been considering going through FSI again, but I think I'd skip the first 15 units.   

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3955 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 502 of 668
16 August 2014 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
I started FSI at an early intermediate level. I skipped over units one and two - the pronunciation and useful phrases.
I started on unit 3, which was where they introduced the first dialogue followed by drills. While there was nothing
new in the first few units that I did, I don't regret starting with something "too easy". I just went through them
quickly using audio only, while walking the dog. It was a good review and helped me build automaticity. Then, when
I started hitting the tricky lessons, I repeated when necessary. I did the whole course (well, up to unit 48, anyway - I
might pick up again where I left off someday) using audio only. I found the textbook clunky and hard to read.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 503 of 668
17 August 2014 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Also, just because the material looks easy doesn't mean that you can produce it rapidly in a conversation. As Stelle mentions, it can help to build automaticity in your speech for things that you previously had a passive knowledge of. The first couple units you can probably safely skip, though.
3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 504 of 668
17 August 2014 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
OK, time to update for the week. I have made some good progress on El Intermediario. I am on page 276 out of 337. I have not yet read today, but should get some time later today to read another chapter or two. The book is starting to "come together." It is worth the read so far and I like it. I am noticing that I rarely consult the English, but I'd say I still feel like I am happy it is there. Many times I check the English and I really "know" or could easily figure out what the Spanish means... it is just comfortable to say to myself... "yup, I knew that even though I'd never seen that." I'm not sure what I'll do when I finish the book.

I've made a bit more progress on the Cassell's book, but that is really slow going simply because I never have that type of free time. I have hardly been to the beach at all this summer :(

Things with work have been very busy and will likely get busier over the next month or two. In an interesting way this can sometimes give me more Spanish time as my body wakes me up earlier for some reason and I have extra time in the morning to do whatever I want.

I still do the VOA news in the morning on the way to work. An interesting thing happened this week. There was an interview of someone in Ferguson, Missouri related to the rioting and he spoke English in a way that I could not really understand and I said to myself "I'll just wait for the Spanish translation so I can understand what the heck he is saying." That was kind of funny.

I watched a bit of Caso Cerrado this week too. My evening habit of watching a 30 minute TV episode in Spanish has been suffering a bit lately. My son is on summer vacation so his bedtime is later and that leaves me ready to go to bed as soon as possible after him.

I have not watched the Simpsons for quite a while. I may try to get into that again and do another season.

No meetups this week and maybe only a few text chats on Skype. Nothing major.

I have noticed something kind of funny about my Spanish. I can put on a great Mexican accent (or at least I think I can). I grew up watching Speedy Gonzalez and can easily imitate his voice/accent in English. I just imagine I am him when I speak Spanish. One of my crazy goals has always been to speak Spanish in a way where native speakers think I am a native speaker from somewhere else... in other words, they note an odd Spanish accent more than the English accent.

This discussion contains 668 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version