Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4892 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 1 of 27
18 December 2010 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Hello!
My name is Marina. My native language is Russian. If you have any questions about Russian language, feel free to ask.
As for me, I study English at the University professionally, and sometimes I have some questions concerning for ex. slang, some grammar details, dialects etc. So, Here my goal is to find people(especially from English-speaking countries) who I can help with their Russian and from whom I can get help with my English.
So, what do you think? :)

Me in SKYPE: marina.ko3

Edited by Marina8 on 26 December 2010 at 6:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Marina8
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4892 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 2 of 27
19 December 2010 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Могу посоветовать всем, кто учит русский, попробовать произносить на скорость русские скороговорки(My advice is to pronounce Russian tongue twisters with high speed). Например(for ex.):
Сшит колпак не по колпаковски, его надо переколпаковать.
Кто его переколпакует, тот будет хорошим переколпаковщиком.
Ехал Грека через реку.
Видит Грека в реке рак.
Сунул в реку руку Грека.
Рак за руку Грека - цап.

Кто-нибудь знает английские скороговорки?(Does somebody know any English tongue twisters?)

Adstock
United Kingdom
Joined 4885 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes
Studies: English*

Message 3 of 27
19 December 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Marina8 wrote:
Hello!
My name is Marina. My native language is Russian. If you have any questions about Russian language, feel free to
ask.
As for me, I study English at the University professionally, and sometimes I have some questions concerning for ex.
slang, some grammar details, dialects etc. So, Here my goal is to find people(especially from English-speaking
countries) who I can help with their Russian and from whom I can get help with my English.
So, what do you think? :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Adstock
United Kingdom
Joined 4885 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes

Message 4 of 27
19 December 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Hi Marina, I would be pleased to help - as you can se from my profile, I am a beginner in Russian. But my English is
great! How shall we start?
Regards
Ken

Adstock
United Kingdom
Joined 4885 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes

Message 5 of 27
19 December 2010 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Marina8 wrote:
Могу посоветовать всем, кто учит русский, попробовать произносить на скорость русские
скороговорки(My advice is to pronounce Russian tongue twisters with high speed). Например(for ex.):
Сшит колпак не по колпаковски, его надо переколпаковать.
Кто его переколпакует, тот будет хорошим переколпаковщиком.
Ехал Грека через реку.
Видит Грека в реке рак.
Сунул в реку руку Грека.
Рак за руку Грека - цап.

Кто-нибудь знает английские скороговорки?(Does somebody know any English tongue twisters?)

Adstock
United Kingdom
Joined 4885 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes

Message 6 of 27
19 December 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Heres an English tongue twister:

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

All English children learn this one from their Mums.

Marina8
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4892 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 7 of 27
20 December 2010 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi Ken!
Nice tongue twister, I like it.
So, what's your reason to study Russian? What do you find the most difficult in this language? We can discuss it. Can you write in Cyrillic on your computer? By the way, did you understand, what I had written in Russian above?
Look, I am to translate a kind of dialog, but I just can’t translate this phrase: “he’s got it made in the shade here” - what does it mean?
The whole part is: “Man, what a freeloader. You better do smth quick or he’ll never hit the road. After all, he’s got it made in the shade here.” I understand everything but “he’s got it made in the shade here”

P.s. Could you correct me, If I did any mistake in writing above. You may try to write smth in Russian, and I will correct you.

Adstock
United Kingdom
Joined 4885 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes

Message 8 of 27
20 December 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
“Man, what a freeloader. You better do smth quick or he’ll never hit the road. After all, he’s got it made in the
shade here.”

Hi Marina, this is American English rather than English from England - and it is quite sloppy. i.e. the speaker is
busy trying to use cool slang but loses precision in doing so. In replacing it with proper English the meaning is
improved but the self posturing of the speaker as a cool dude would be lost (!).

Proper English:
"My God," (or other exclamation). "What a sponger. You had better act fast or he will never leave. After all, he
has an easy life here". (Or alternatively you could say in English slang: "After all, he has got a cushy number
here".

"Made in the shade" was the title phrase which came from the name of a Rolling Stones rock album from 1974.
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_the_Shade). It was meant to imply that the band was living in relaxed
luxury while they made the record...which implication links back to the meaning of your original text.

Was that helpful?
PS. I have No Idea what your Russian text meant!

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version