Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ad in Esperanto

Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6325 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 1 of 6
16 December 2010 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
Ad in Esperanto.
As you can see on the right column, you'll find the same advertising with many different subtitles (that why the voice-over says "Un vino, mil
charlas" at the end of the ad). Could someone please translate it? I'm curious to know what they're really saying :)

Guido.-

Edited by Guido on 16 December 2010 at 6:48am

1 person has voted this message useful

global_gizzy
United States
maxcollege.blogspot.
Joined 5500 days ago

275 posts - 310 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 6
17 December 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
Isn't that Spanish? I understood SOME but not all of what was WRITTEN. I dont know what a
Charla is, but it says One Wine, One Thousand CHARLA

Oh, PS. I didn't listen to the Audio, I just watched it with the Subtitles, but I
recognized a large percentage of the words and grammar as Spanish.

Edited by global_gizzy on 17 December 2010 at 3:18pm

eumiro
Bilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5071 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 3 of 6
17 December 2010 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
Guido wrote:
Ad in Esperanto.
As you can see on the right column, you'll find the same advertising with many different subtitles (that why the voice-over says "Un vino, mil
charlas" at the end of the ad). Could someone please translate it? I'm curious to know what they're really saying :)

I have just seen this version with Spanish subtitles and without audio. 'Un vino, mil charlas' is in Spanish and it means 'One wine, thousand chats' (You can talk about anything, but you are drinking our wine). It is an Argentinian company, so they use this slogan in Spanish.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6500 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
17 December 2010 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
Charlar is having a chat in Spanish, and the chat is a charla. The most surprising thing in this is actually that someone decided to make an advertisement in Esperanto.

EDIT: ... and that the subtitles aren't translating the charla, not even the paternoster part.

Edited by Iversen on 17 December 2010 at 10:16am

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5117 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 5 of 6
17 December 2010 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
I'm wondering whether they chose Esperanto as the ad language, because:

a) it sounds similar to Spanish
b) they wanted a foreign language that their audience most likely didn't understand
c) they simply wanted to have a generic foreign language.

I'm also really surprised that none of usual Esperanto proponents in the forum has come forward with a transcript and a perfect translation of the ad text.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5095 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 6 of 6
17 December 2010 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
I'm also really surprised that none of usual Esperanto proponents in the forum has come forward with a transcript and a perfect translation of the ad text.

I did not fully understand what was said, my listening comprehension of Esperanto is bad and at least the very impressive patriarch speaks with something that sounds like a heavy accent, maybe, I really lack experience with spoken Esperanto. But there is a version with real subtitles, I think it translates well enough, not every word, but it looks like the translator understood what was said, and after reading the translation I could understand most of it, too (wow, great :-) .
Real Spanish translation

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version