magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5375 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 9 of 19
05 December 2010 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm it seems to me that he coined the phrase in as far as meaning to follow along to
recorded audio whilst walking. Obviously, the technique of following along verbally
whilst audio is playing did not start with the Prof. and as mentioned above nor indeed
did the term shadowing suddenly appear with this meaning. I think we can credit the
professor with popularising it though. However, my one gripe with all of this is that
I believe (and have yet to see anything scientific to disprove this) that the walking
element was added to it to distinguish it from what many other people do and to add
something that could make the whole process seem as if it was original. I really don't
think that walking around whilst shadowing has made any difference for me. I tried it
when I first read about the method and have subsequently ditched it as after trying to
shadow whilst sitting down in a chair or even just standing in the kitchen whilst doing
the dishes I see no difference. All the same I admire the professor for his enthusiasm
and abilities and I wouldn't mind being proved wrong about the walking element being
tacked on but I see nothing that shows it is essential to developing your language
ablities (not to say it would be detremental).
1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6457 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 10 of 19
05 December 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Shadowing as I walk quickly seems to have more effect. It seems that my brain is more active

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6731 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 11 of 19
06 December 2010 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
@magictom123

Just walking normally makes no difference. You have to be walking briskly enough to get your heart pumping and blood flowing to the brain. I was skeptical for years until I gave it a real try recently. My brain felt so much more active, engaged, and focused, and my retention of the material increased so much, that I've actually begun to feel it's a waste of time to shadow while sitting down at a desk!
3 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6457 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 12 of 19
06 December 2010 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
@magictom123

Just walking normally makes no difference. You have to be walking briskly enough to get your heart pumping and blood flowing to the brain. I was skeptical for years until I gave it a real try recently. My brain felt so much more active, engaged, and focused, and my retention of the material increased so much, that I've actually begun to feel it's a waste of time to shadow while sitting down at a desk!

As I said in the previous message, I agree. I had the same experience, but I don't think that shadowing while sitting is a waste of time. It's only less eficient.

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5375 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 13 of 19
06 December 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
I did a shadowing session today on my assimil lesson, stood next to the cd player in the
kitchen. It was a good session. I think the key for me is not so much movement because
I said I have noticed no difference, but rather my level if focus. I'm glad if walking
quickly works great for you, but we all know with language learning, we need to find
things that are effective for ourselves and for me it makes no discernable difference.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 14 of 19
06 December 2010 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
I know the term shadowing has been used in interpretation for a while. It refers to repeating what you hear in order to train your ability to hear and talk at the same time.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4960 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 15 of 19
15 December 2010 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
I think I should have put a link before
http://shop.alc.co.jp/course/h4/lp/user.html#us02

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4149 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 16 of 19
26 March 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Shadowing has been a technique at interpreting schools for a long time. I don't think that Prof. Arguelles invented it. At interpreting schools students are prompted to shadow recordings in their mother tongue and in their foreign language to train simultaneous listening and speaking. But they don't walk around.

I also find this technique very useful to learn a language and can only recommend it. However, it is a bit tiring and it becomes very annoying to shadow every Assimil lesson 10 times... I can confirm that you really assimilate the lessons you shadow ten times, but it's a pain in the ass. I couldn't do more than 40 lessons in Norwegian. Maybe I will continue.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version