Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5000 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 9 of 22
01 December 2010 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
I might be wrong... Pelevin - postmodernism, Strugatskie - fantastic, Grishkovets and Sanaev - just prose, maybe novels, I'm not that sure...
I like all of them, Pelevin is rather weird but very interesting, Strugatskie erm... blow my mind up (?, взрыв мозга), Sanaev's novel is about a boy, it's an autobiographic one, and so are Grishkovets's stories... Merely choose what you think will suit your taste. =)
1 person has voted this message useful

Siberiano
Tetraglot
Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6278 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 10 of 22
01 December 2010 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Да, взрыв или вынос мозга = blow one's mind. (Для инстранцев: это новый сленг эпохи интернета)

Edited by Siberiano on 01 December 2010 at 9:51pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Omenapuu00
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4893 days ago

10 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Swedish

Message 11 of 22
02 December 2010 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
milaneva wrote:
I mean it's special gift not only to understand but to feel and enjoy works by foreign authors, if you could do, that's great!
Not sure which modern authors to recommend you.Many popular writers appeared now, especially in detective jenre, but in my opinion, most of them are commercial writers.
Have you read Bulgakov? Try "Sobachye sertse"- (Dog's heart) You will enjoy!

You bring up an interesting point to expound upon, Milaneva. Reading great literature is not simply about extracting a literal word-for-word comprehension of the text, but being able to really catch the "feel" and "essence" of a piece of work is truly what is at the heart of appreciating literary accomplishments. When I first really started studying languages, in the back of my head I felt like I would never really have the ability to capture this "essence" when reading any foreign texts, and it was always sort of discouraging. However, recently, as I've really started to read Russian literature to a much greater extent than previously, I am realizing that I am not only capturing the literal but the figurative as well. I think what helped a lot is reading a variety of short stories, prose, poetry, and plays from a wide variety of different authors. I think only once you have a base for what different styles are out there and how writings differ from each other can you really grasp what the author intended for the reader. I don't know, what do you think? Do you think someone who has not grown up speaking a language since childhood can really ever truly grasp the feel of foreign texts? and do you think there are techniques for developing this sort of awareness? I'm interested in what people think! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tka Tka
Pentaglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4845 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, German, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: Japanese, French, Finnish, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 12 of 22
17 January 2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
If asked to pick THE most difficult author in Russia, I'd go with Sasha Sokolov (Саша
Соколов). E.g. Mezhdu sobakoi i volkom/Между собакой и волком. The book is absolutely
amazing, but it requires a lot of concentration even from a native speaker. Other choices
would be Venedict Yerofeev/Венедикт Ерофеев, Vladimir Sorokin/Владимир Сорокин, or maybe
some late 20th-century poetry (e.g. Arkadiy Dragomoschenko/Аркадий Драгомощенко, Alexei
Parschikov/Алексей Парщиков or Alexander Skidan/Александр Скидан)

Edited by Tka Tka on 17 January 2011 at 11:27pm

rekenavri
Pentaglot
Belarus
Joined 5698 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English, Belarusian, Russian*, Polish, Spanish
Studies: French, German

Message 13 of 22
04 February 2011 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Dostoyevsky. His style is very hard even for native speakers.

Sasha Sokolov in 20th century. "Russian James Joyce". I really can't understand, how was it possible to translate hid second novel ("Between Dog and Wolf") to English. I don't understand some epysodes of it even in Russian!

Laole
Tetraglot
Portugal
Joined 4893 days ago

9 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*, Polish, English
Studies: Portuguese

Message 14 of 22
05 February 2011 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Omenapuu00 wrote:
Do you think someone who has not grown up speaking a language since childhood can really ever truly grasp the feel of foreign texts? and do you think there are techniques for developing this sort of awareness? I'm interested in what people think! :)

I know what you mean, and I agree that it's interesting question. Yes, I think a person that enjoys literature, can, as you say, grasp the feel of foreign texts. Understanding of 100% vocabulary is not necessary for that. Just a little "but" - first you have to fight with... who knows... 3000 pages? Only after, the moment comes when you "can feel it".

Everyday I read books in 3-4 languages, so I can say, there is no magic border between native and foreign language when it comes to understanding literature.

Sasha_Kiselev
Russian Federation
Joined 4594 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English

Message 15 of 22
26 September 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
rekenavri wrote:
Dostoyevsky. His style is very hard even for native speakers.

Yes. Indeed, I think you just hit the nail on the head!

I have some kind of allergy on his writing. I don't want to say he's bad (it would sound
silly anyway), but the fact is I cannot read it. I want to try to read it in English as
my vocabulary gets a bit better.

1 person has voted this message useful

fulushou3
Russian Federation
Joined 4587 days ago

17 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Russian*

Message 16 of 22
02 October 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Зощенко, Михаил (Zoshchenko, Mikhail). Have you read his stories? They are full of some
kind of linguistic irony. I think you must know Russian pretty well to understand all
these hints, tinges, nuances he uses in his works. And don't be fooled by deceptive
simplicity, Zoshchenko is a virtuoso. But he breaks rules of Russian grammar, creates
strange and funny usage of words, so don't use his prose as supplement to your learning
materials.
Also I can recommend short works by Yevgeny Zamyatin (Замятин, Евгений).
They are both classics of the XXth century (the former is extremely popular, the latter
is almost forgotten). And to my opinion they are both absolutely untranslatable.

Edited by fulushou3 on 02 October 2011 at 10:37am

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version