Omenapuu00
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4868 days ago

10 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Swedish

Message 1 of 22
30 November 2010 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
Hello there, I am at the point in my Russian studies where I am reading original works from several of the prolific Russian authors. I am curious as to which authors other learners of Russian believe are some of the most difficult to understand, whether it be Checkov and his liberal use of particles, Pushkin and his use of extremely rich/dense vocab, or any other author for any other reason. I've been flipping through some Mendelshtam and find it a bit more difficult than some other poets.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5281 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 2 of 22
30 November 2010 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
I've tended to focus on Dostoyevsky, Gogol and some Tolstoy, and of these Gogol is certainly the most difficult in terms of language, but this is mostly due to all the rural, colloquial or dialectal words he uses.

Andrey_92
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4879 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 3 of 22
30 November 2010 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Do you read Vladimir Mayakovsky? He is a poet-futurist. I think he is one of the difficult to understand among russian poets.
http://www.litera.ru/stixiya/authors/mayakovskij/all.html
2 persons have voted this message useful

Omenapuu00
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4868 days ago

10 posts - 19 votes

Message 4 of 22
30 November 2010 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Yes I just finished Checkov's play "Tri Cestrie" and found the language much easier to grasp than much of the other (older) Russian authors whose works I've read. I find Pushkin to be fairly difficult, but I actually enjoy learning all the archaic vocab that he peppers his literature with so liberally. I do quite enjoy what I've read of Gogol.

I have not read any Vladimir Mayakovsky, however I think I'll have to pick up something of his. Do you recommend anything in particular?

Also, is there anything within the last twenty years or so that you recommend? I've been reading so much of the Russian "classic" authors and poets lately, and would like to get into some more modern authors since I know next to nothing about them.

Thanks!

milaneva
Moldova
studiuml-liudmila.blRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4891 days ago

3 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English

Message 5 of 22
30 November 2010 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
I mean it's special gift not only to understand but to feel and enjoy works by foreign authors, if you could do, that's great!
Not sure which modern authors to recommend you.Many popular writers appeared now, especially in detective jenre, but in my opinion, most of them are commercial writers.
Have you read Bulgakov? Try "Sobachye sertse"- (Dog's heart) You will enjoy!

masha_light
Diglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 4975 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 22
30 November 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Try to read Pelevin (Ника, Жёлтая стрела, Зомбификация, ГКЧП как тетраграмматон), Strugatskie brothers (Понедельник начинается в субботу), Grishkovets, Sanaev (Похороните меня за плинтусом).

Omenapuu00
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4868 days ago

10 posts - 19 votes

Message 7 of 22
01 December 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the recommendations! I look forward to finding these books and having a stab at reading them. Masha light, what genre are the authors classified as that you mentioned? And which one do you think would be a good one to start with? Thanks! :)

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 8 of 22
01 December 2010 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
Omenapuu00 wrote:
Also, is there anything within the last twenty years or so that you recommend? I've been reading so much of the Russian "classic" authors and poets lately, and would like to get into some more modern authors since I know next to nothing about them.

Although a little older than twenty years, I can heartily recommend the Moskovskie Povesti by Trifonov and Nedelya Kak Nedelya by Baranskaya for a glimpse of daily life in the Soviet Union of the 60s and 70s, i.e. after all the turbulence of the war and the Stalin period had ended and people settled down to stability and relative affluence. Neither of these works is at all difficult to read in the original, but that doesn't take away from their brilliance.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version