leosmith
United States
Joined 6347 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 26
07 November 2010 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
That’s it. I’ve just gotten into yet another argument about learning Esperanto. I started by showing my interest,
getting some nice feedback, then getting hammered by these theories that Esperanto has to be the global lingua
franca, and finally, the guilt trips and reasons why I have to learn it. I just don’t get it – I’ve never been hassled
like this regarding any other language.

So last time this happened, I was offered multiple language programs, not just Esperanto, for free. This time I
was offered travel accommodations. But I’ve made up my mind – you’ll have to pay me cash to learn Esperanto.

What do you think about that idea? Esperanto speakers are desperate to get new blood. Time to put their money
where their mouths are. If they paid learners 1000 USD, for only 1 billion USD they could double their
membership, and help them on their way to becoming a language super power. Where would they get the money
to do this? Each speaker would only have to donate 1000 USD. That’s less than some people give to charity each
year. And can you think of a better cause? Just imagine the positive effects it would have on the world!
3 persons have voted this message useful

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 3 of 26
07 November 2010 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
Here, I'm just going to put this here since this is the new Esperanto argument thread: If Esperanto didn't have people trying to push it everywhere and if it had a more varied vocabulary (e.g. majorly non-Romance, though non-Indo-European would be preferrable), I would be all over it.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6347 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 4 of 26
07 November 2010 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
GREGORG4000 wrote:
Here, I'm just going to put this here since this is the new Esperanto argument thread: If
Esperanto didn't have people trying to push it everywhere and if it had a more varied vocabulary (e.g. majorly non-
Romance, though non-Indo-European would be preferrable), I would be all over it.

If someone paid you 1K, would you be all over it?

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 5 of 26
07 November 2010 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
If someone paid you 1K, would you be all over it?

Well, it depends how long I would have to learn it for. I don't think I would become a dedicated Esperantist for any amount of money, since that's a lifestyle choice. I would study it for about 100 hours though, and reportedly that's enough to attain fluency, and I suppose I would maintain it by reading in the language once in a while.

Edited by GREGORG4000 on 07 November 2010 at 4:39am

jasoninchina
China
Joined 5028 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 6 of 26
07 November 2010 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I started by showing my interest...

And can you think of a better cause? Just imagine the positive effects it would have on the world!

I'm a bit confused. It sounds like you have some basic interest in the language, but you want someone to pay you to learn it? Furthermore, who are these people that keep hassling you about learning Esperanto? Honestly, if you do have some interest in learning the language, you should take them up on their offer. If not, end of conversation.

However, if you are simply saying that they should pay people to learn because they are desperate to gain new members, that will never happen. I suspect that's why they offer the free software and accommodations. Realistically, who's going to fork over 1k per person. What a waste of 1 billion USD.

p.s. give my number to whoever offered you free software and accommodations:-)

Lucas
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 4964 days ago

85 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, German, Italian, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 26
07 November 2010 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
Good idea!
Completely useless, but after all, billions of dollars are wasted every month for useless
(and often harmful) ideas...so why woulnd't waste esperantist a million dollar for
another useless idea?
:)
Did you submit your idea to the esperantists?

leosmith
United States
Joined 6347 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 8 of 26
07 November 2010 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Lucas wrote:
Did you submit your idea to the esperantists?

Not yet, but I'm picturing myself bursting into the high council of Esperantania, where everyone is wearing their
ceremonial headgear, and declaring "I have an idea that will save the empire", as I hold up a scroll. But the thing is, I
will probably not even be allowed in the door because I don't speak the language. There's always a catch 22.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version