Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4896 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 57 of 82
07 May 2011 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
The following explanation of the new movie is based on the assumption that it's actually canon:

It's not really a reboot of the franchise. It's just what would have happened if this Nero guy went back in time and killed a bunch of people including Kirk's father. So Uhura would only be different if she was in some way affected by this change in the timeline, which she probably was in some way, but I doubt it would affect her language abilities.

That being said, I don't accept the new movie as part of the Star Trek story, on the basis that it sucked so bad. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Caitlin
Canada
Joined 5028 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 58 of 82
08 May 2011 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
There is also the character of Gen Watanabe, the translator in Ann Patchett's novel Bel Canto. I think he speaks: Japanese, English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Russian, Greek, Italian, and German. He can read Polish if not speak it. And there may be others, I can't remember. It's a beautiful book about the power of communication through language and music.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5101 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 59 of 82
08 May 2011 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
IMHO, one of the best language centered Star Trek TNG episodes is Darmok in which Picard encounters aliens who speak English, but make heavy use of metaphors whose meanings Picard has to figure out to save his life.

And since we've arrived in SciFi land, I think SciFi writer Robert Sheckley deserves a mention. In his funny short story One Man's Poison (which can be read for free on Project Gutenberg) one of the main character's knowledge of an alien language and the subtleties of its grammar turns out to be a matter of life and death when the main characters find an alien warehouse.

Edited by Doitsujin on 08 May 2011 at 2:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6796 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 60 of 82
08 May 2011 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
I don't accept the new movie as part of the Star Trek story, on the basis that it sucked so bad. :)

Same here.

Doitsujin wrote:
IMHO, one of the best language centered Star Trek TNG episodes is Darmok in which Picard encounters aliens who speak English, but make heavy use of metaphors whose meaning Picard has to figure out to save his life.

I'd forgotten about that one. Excellent episode.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6649 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 61 of 82
08 May 2011 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
That being said, I don't accept the new movie as part of the Star Trek story, on the basis that it sucked so bad. :)

Well since that's come up, I guess I ought to say that I liked the angle and gloss of the new film. :-) I do with though that it had featured some Romulan or Vulcan languages, since both cultures were so vital to that film.

Out of Sci-Fi for a bit: Hans Landa, the SS officer from "The Inglourious Basterds"! German, English, and French (which apparently he really speaks) and Italian, which I think he mimicked the lines for in the movie.

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4862 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 62 of 82
12 May 2011 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if you guys have said about this one already, but Wolowitz from "The Big
Bang Theory" usually say say random things in different languages, but I'm not quite sure
if he speaks them all.

The languages I saw he speaking are Russian, Chinese (I don't know which one), French and
Japanese. He said he could say "have a nice shower" in 6 different languages, but that
doesn't mean that he speak them fluently. Anyway, I think he might speak because they're
all very smart.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4896 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 63 of 82
12 May 2011 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Matheus wrote:
I don't know if you guys have said about this one already, but Wolowitz from "The Big
Bang Theory" usually say say random things in different languages, but I'm not quite sure
if he speaks them all.

The languages I saw he speaking are Russian, Chinese (I don't know which one), French and
Japanese. He said he could say "have a nice shower" in 6 different languages, but that
doesn't mean that he speak them fluently. Anyway, I think he might speak because they're
all very smart.

Walowitz can definitely speak Mandarin, because there was one episode where he tried to teach Sheldon Mandarin so he could yell at the guy at the Chinese food place. It didn't work out so well. :P

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version