Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4927 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 25 of 82
25 November 2010 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Otto Liddenbrock from Jules Verne is known by Axel, your nephew as "a man knows many of
languages of world". In the book A Jouney to Center of Earth, I saw him speak German, Old
Norse, Latin, Icelandic and Danish. And I only red the begin.
1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6649 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 26 of 82
25 November 2010 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
John Clark from the Tom Clancy novels is an accomplished polyglot. I know he speaks Russian and Spanish like a native, as well as a dialect of Arabic (Sum of All Fears). In "Debt of Honor" he goes to the DLI to learn some survival Japanese but doesn't speak the language. I think he speaks some others but I'm not sure of it how.

His partner Domingo "Ding" Chavez also is talented: Spanish, English and Russian at a native or near native level.
2 persons have voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6796 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 82
26 November 2010 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
I'd forgotten about that book. One of Clancy's better ones, in my opinion.

unch
Triglot
France
Joined 4828 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Irish, Russian, Esperanto

Message 28 of 82
06 February 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
When reading the Count of Montecristo by Alexandre Dumas, I remember being impressed when I learnt that some characters were multilingual. I got really exited at the idea as I could only speak English at the time and wished that I were also familiar with different languages

If I remember correctly however, there were some inconsistencies relating to this. Early on in the novel Dantes is said to speak, maybe, 4 languages, as a result of a sailor's life or growing up at an international port.

Then later when Dantes meets the Abbe, he is awe stricken that the Abbe speaks several languages - 5 modern languages (French, German, Italian, English and Spanish) + some Greek learned with the aid of ancient Greek. I think it can be assumed that he also spoke Latin?

I believe that the Abbe subsequently teaches Dantes some or all of his languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Neutrin0
Tetraglot
France
Joined 5611 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Kabyle, French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, German, Italian

Message 29 of 82
08 February 2011 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Ireneo Funes in the Jorge Luis Borges' short story "Funes el Memorioso" speaks his native Spanish and has learnt with great ease ("sin esfuerzo") English, French, Portuguese and Latin.

Edited by Neutrin0 on 09 February 2011 at 10:06pm

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5821 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 30 of 82
14 February 2011 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Dr Brennan in Bones speaks Spanish, French, Latin, Chinese, Japanese, Norwegian (I think) and German. I can't remember if she knows Russian as well

Sherlock Holmes definitely knew Latin and French and I have a vague memory that he might have known Italian but it's been a while since I read the books.

Professor Lidenbrock form a Joruney to the Centre of the Earth could read Latin, Old Icelandic and had knowledge of Spanish, French, Italian, Greek and Hebrew not including his native language which I think was German

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4927 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 31 of 82
18 February 2011 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Elwin Ransom from Space Trilogy by C.S Lewis was known for his abilitie of learning
languages. He knew 20 or more.

Felipe
Triglot
United States
Joined 5811 days ago

451 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Catalan

Message 32 of 82
18 February 2011 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
I always thought it would be awesome to write a story in which the text would be written according to what language is spoken in the part of the world where the main character is. So, the story starts out in Spain, everything is written in Spanish. But then for some reason the plot takes the reader to Italy, so now everything is written in Italian, etc. A book in the style of Tom Clancy might end up being in English, Russian, Spanish, Japanese, Icelandic, German, Mandarin, etc. and would go back and forth between all of these.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version