Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 17
16 October 2010 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
I have done all tests offered on this website and my results are very similar to those of ellasevia. My native German doesn't score higher than my foreign languages, but it's realistic that my Spanish scores lower than my other foreign languages because in some respects it has got a bit rusty.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 October 2010 at 8:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5000 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 10 of 17
16 October 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
English: C1 surprisingly low
Spanish: B2 surprisingly high!
French: B2 fair estimate
Italian: B2 fair estimate
German: B1 higher than I expected

fun but I don't think its a terribly accurate representation of ability though.

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5374 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 11 of 17
26 November 2010 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
This is an interesting site but I wouldn't take the results too seriously. For example,
I just did the English test and only got a score of B1 - which is quite ridiculous really
considering I'm a native English speaker who scored high marks in English at school.

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5185 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 12 of 17
13 January 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Here are my scores:

D : 27/40
EN : 34/40
ES : 26/40
IT : 28/40
FR : 40/40
BEN: 33/40
TOTAL 1 : 155/200 TOTAL 2: 188/240

Actually, theses tests are not so bad, but with a french keyboard you are not allowed to type accents in Spanish and Italian !!! so you make errors because of your computer !

Recap :

Fasulye :

D : 34/40
EN : 30/40
ES : 21/40
IT : 27/40
FR : 28/40
BEN: 30/40 TOTAL 1: 140/200 = 70 % TOTAL 2: 170/240 = 70 %
(EDIT by Fasulye, you forgot my BEN-score!)

ELLASEVIA :

D : 21/40
EN : 34/40
ES : 30/40
IT : 25/40
FR : 30/40 TOTAL 1 : 140/200

Eventually, we may notice some problems around there !! I scored even in EN as Ellasevia, though I'm not a native speaker, and neither ellasevia or fasulye scored 100% in their own native language !!! I guess these tests are just not faithful, then you have some problems when not having answered in the allowed span time: you have to restart.. from scratch!!!

I jsut dont know what to think about these tests... Since I scored 100% in french, I should considered they are trusty... though I expected more than 30 in Italian !!

Edited by Fasulye on 27 February 2011 at 4:22pm

Christine
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6407 days ago

41 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Modern Hebrew

Message 13 of 17
02 March 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
I just read about this test in my local Volkshochschule's current course catalogue (I have no idea if there's an English equivalent for it) and immediately decided to give it a try for French. My French has never been that good (I learned it from scratch through university classes and attended about 6 courses, which equals 3 years of study) and I really forgot much of it, so I was really curious about the level the test would place me in. The result was B1 (32/40), sort of what I had expected. But then I searched the forum and found this thread, which has raised some doubt whether to trust that result or not. Given the limitations of a relatively quick online test such as this one, nobody can expect accuracy, but if it horribly misplaces native speakers, there must be something wrong with it.

I guess I'll give the German and English tests a try right now.

Edit 1: German: 40/40. The result says "Deine Niveaustufe: in etwa C1 oder sogar höher", which translates as "Your level is about C1 or even higher". Since other native speakers have also been rated C1, I have come to the conclusion that the "or even higher" part is crucial here and the test simply doesn't differentiate between C1 and C2 anymore. Another argument for this is one of the paragraphs appearing below the initial page of each placement test:

"Wichtig für Lehrkräfte und andere Sprachprofis: Wenn es um sehr fortgeschrittene Sprachkomptenz geht, differenziert dieser Test nicht so genau. Der Schwerpunkt der Aufgaben liegt auf dem Mittelfeld, in dem sich die allermeisten Lernenden bewegen."

which roughly translates as:

"Important information for teachers and other language experts: Concerning very advanced language proficiency, this test doesn't differentiate that clearly. These questions focus on the intermediate spectrum which most learners belong to."

Edit 2: My result of the English test is 39/40 = C1 or even higher; this is accurate because I already hold a C2 certificate in English (UNIcert IV, field of study: law). One thing I noticed while doing the questions requiring the completion of words is that they contain minor flaws such as file wrapping between the first part of a word and the blank space to fill in, which rendered the exercise unnecessarily confusing and might affect the end result given that 3 missing points already "downgrade" you to B2 (I scored 37/40 = B2 on the Business English test, lower than expected).

Trying Italian or Spanish would be useless - I did have some Spanish and Italian classes at school, but this was more than ten years ago and all I remember are some words and phrases.

Edited by Christine on 03 March 2012 at 12:55am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4438 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 17
03 March 2012 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
I couldn't resist and tried the test too.
My results:
EN: 38/40
BEN: 37/40
D: 38/40
FR: 22/40

The results for English and German say C1 or perhaps higher, with lower than expected business English.

French was a surprise for me - I am still firmly at beginner level (false beginner) and got B1. I would say my knowledge is much lower. On the other hand - I had no problem with understanding of the written and spoken language, the whole point loss comes from the typing parts. This shows definitively lack of vocabulary, which is not surprising.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 17
03 March 2012 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Italian and German - B1
Spanish - A2
100% listening in Spanish and German.

seems more or less accurate... the problem is that if you don't know basic things, they don't expect you to know more advanced things, mwahaha. Dialang also says I'm about A2 in Spanish though I managed to score B1 in writing.

Marcos_Eich
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 3999 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German

Message 16 of 17
31 January 2014 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Nice test but don't seems to be very accurate. I had some problems with the writing part.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version