Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 41 of 58
27 March 2015 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Thank you. By the way, does anyone know how to write my name "Faizal Yunus Ibrahim" in Greek letters? I'ver tried but got stuck because I didn't know what is the Greek letter for "Y". For "Faizal", would it be "Φαιζαλ"? And what will "Ibrahim" be?
1 person has voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4553 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 42 of 58
27 March 2015 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
It's Φαϊζάλ Γιουνούς Ιμπραχίμ. The digraph "αι" is pronounced /e/ in modern Greek, so the "ι" needs to be distinguished as "ϊ". The stress marks are mandatory. While the letter "Γ" is normally pronounced like the Arabic غ (gh), before "ι" it gets palatalized into something resembling "y". The letter combination "μπ" represents the sound /b/ in modern Greek.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 43 of 58
28 March 2015 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
It's Φαϊζάλ Γιουνούς Ιμπραχίμ. The digraph "αι" is pronounced /e/ in modern Greek, so the "ι" needs to be distinguished as "ϊ". The stress marks are mandatory. While the letter "Γ" is normally pronounced like the Arabic غ (gh), before "ι" it gets palatalized into something resembling "y". The letter combination "μπ" represents the sound /b/ in modern Greek.

Why didn't use "Ιβραχίμ" for "Ibrahim"?

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4553 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 44 of 58
28 March 2015 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
The letter β is pronounced [v] in modern Greek. I suppose if you were to spell it according to Classical Attic Greek spelling it would be something like Φαισάλ Ἰουνούς Ἰβραίμ (the ζ was pronounced "zd", so it's probably better to use a simple σ, in line with the original Arabic; the sound [h] did exist in Classical Greek, but it would disappear between vowels, and χ was pronounced like an aspirated "k"). Or you could use the traditional Greek renditions of the latter two names to get Φαισάλ Ἰωνᾶς Ἀβραάμ.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 45 of 58
29 March 2015 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
My name is some really messed up orthographical deviation of George
(from Γιώργος), having passed through the ages towards the Scandinavian lands (I think
it is of Danish origin, maybe German, but in different countries the spelling and
pronunciation varies). It's a very rare variant that's almost never used, but that is
exactly why it was given to me. The name simply means farmer, the one who works the
earth.

My second name derived from Martinus. It means
Warrior of Mars in Latin.

My last name is van Schaïk, and Schaijk is simply a small Dutch village (so it means
my ancestors probably came from this small village in Brabant).

Edited by tarvos on 18 May 2020 at 4:02pm

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 46 of 58
29 March 2015 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
The letter β is pronounced [v] in modern Greek. I suppose if you were to spell it according to Classical Attic Greek spelling it would be something like Φαισάλ Ἰουνούς Ἰβραίμ (the ζ was pronounced "zd", so it's probably better to use a simple σ, in line with the original Arabic; the sound [h] did exist in Classical Greek, but it would disappear between vowels, and χ was pronounced like an aspirated "k"). Or you could use the traditional Greek renditions of the latter two names to get Φαισάλ Ἰωνᾶς Ἀβραάμ.

How is Greek written? According to its Latin source or its pronounciation?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 47 of 58
30 March 2015 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
According to the Greek pronunciation - Latin doesn't play a role at all given that Greek
was attested earlier than Latin, it is the Romans that stole from the Greeks (and they
freely admitted to this).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 48 of 58
30 March 2015 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
And so, Greek has different pronounciation than English? Whose pronounciation similar to Greek?

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version