Groupie
United States
Joined 4721 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Sámi

Message 9 of 24
25 May 2011 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
This is the best article I have yet read on learning Sami, and I think I've read them all.

Euro Talk Interactive has Talk Now! Saami and Vocabulary Builder Saami, both of which I purchased from Amazon.com. However, they don't go far enough. Thanks to this article I have registered for Davvin.

This is an interesting site; I need to figure out how to get specific questions out.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6945 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 10 of 24
29 May 2011 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Gittu ja leage buorre.

I'm happy that you found the profile to be useful.

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5099 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 11 of 24
29 May 2011 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Nice job! (Although I'm too tired to read the whole text right now. I'll definitely come back later.)

I have the Finnish Davvin 1 and 2 and they are made by the same person, not translated. I started learning saami
years ago, but never got past the first pages because of too many other things in my life. So I can't give you more
information about the book. I just wanted to mention, that it's available in Finnish too, in cae you want to add it to
your profile later.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6945 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 12 of 24
15 July 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
chirel wrote:
Nice job! (Although I'm too tired to read the whole text right now. I'll definitely come back later.)

Thanks very much. I've added several more links to the profile after having done some recent digging on the internet for supplementary material to support my current studies in Inari Saami.

chirel wrote:
I have the Finnish Davvin 1 and 2 and they are made by the same person, not translated. I started learning saami
years ago, but never got past the first pages because of too many other things in my life. So I can't give you more
information about the book. I just wanted to mention, that it's available in Finnish too, in cae you want to add it to
your profile later.

Davvin seems to have been a collaborative project by the national broadcasting companies of Finland, Norway and Sweden and has been thus issued in Finnish, Norwegian and (presumably) Swedish editions (I assume that a Swedish edition exists given that I can vouch for the existence of Finnish and Norwegian editions).

I too have the Finnish edition of the course (but all 4 parts) and will add some comments about my learning experience with it after having worked through at least part of the course.

Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 4721 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 

Message 13 of 24
15 July 2011 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
I have been doing Gulahalan 1 from Swedish to North Saami, or golligiella. It seems to be very excellent. The copy of Gulahalan that I had access to before was in English to Saami but there were none of the accessory helps of the full program and none of the audio clips. But I'd worked out of books before so I was doing it anyway. The difference is amazing. After years of looking for programs I finally complained to the right person who hooked me up.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6945 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 14 of 24
15 July 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I didn't know that there was a (partial) version of Gulahan in English.

Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 4721 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 

Message 15 of 24
16 July 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
No, I don't think there is. That was from Ãrran website, but there was no audio.
Here is Gulahalan with audio, dialogues (ságastallamat), exercises (hárjehusat), and dictionary (sátnelistu). Supporting language in Swedish.
Gulahalan

Edited by Kafea on 16 July 2011 at 8:15am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 16 of 24
10 August 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
What a detailed webliography, Chung! I used to be interested in Saami but the resources were mostly in Norwegian/Swedish, and now I'm actively learning Norwegian. It's queued, I'll certainly learn it someday, maybe after Estonian and Mari =D

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version