19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4837 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 17 of 19
10 December 2011 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Princeton course does not teach like that. It uses correct explanations.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jt00
United States
Joined 4296 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, French

Message 18 of 19
23 August 2012 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
I recently received Russian for Dummies as a birthday present. As of the 2nd edition, Russian for Dummies does use the Cryllic alphabet. I have not actively studied it (yet, the beginning of school is slowing down my language learning considerably), but from a quick glance through it seems ok. I have read the first few pages, and they specifically say not to expect to reach a level of fluency, but rather to expect to be able to express basic ideas and not have to point and mime while in Russia.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4420 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 19 of 19
23 August 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
I bought Russian for Dummies on Kindle, and was rather disappointed. True, now it does use the Cyrillic alphabet. However, it also includes a transcription of everything which I find very annoying. As it is aimed at English-speakers, they use a self-invented(?) transcription system which I think is more confusing than anything. For example the word магазин is transcribed as muh-guh-zeen.

Yes, it might be OK if you just want to learn basic words and sentences, but don't expect to get to a high level, nor to get a thorough explanation of grammar. Personally I study with a combination of Assimil, Colloquial Russian and an old Linguaphone course, and they complement each other very nicely.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version