Canada
Joined 4880 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Icelandic

Message 9 of 10
23 April 2011 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Antigrav_7 wrote:
And how long do you reckon does it take to get to near-conversational fluency in Russian

I've been studying russian for 4 months and I'm able to follow very basic conversations and take part in them with minimal mistakes. Forget about saying where I'm going or where I went and all that (anything related to movement in space is ridiculously complicated in Russian) but I can say where I'm from, what I did yesterday, last week, last year, 3 years ago, what I plan on doing, what I study, where I work, talk about my family, etc. As I said, basic conversation. At the speed I'm going and the courses I'm having, I guess that within another 6-8 months I should be able to communicat with a certain ease in pretty much any situation. So in my case, make it an estimated 10-12 months for a "reasonable" conversational ability.

Of course, reading texts is always easier than following a conversation, so vocabulary building shouldn't be a big problem. I'm guessing that 15 months from now, I should be able to talk with much ease - so after about 20 months of starting my study of russian form scratch.

I study about 20 hours a week.

Edited by FrostBlast on 23 April 2011 at 5:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

adaptissimus
Diglot
optusnet.com.au
Joined 4747 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French

Message 10 of 10
23 April 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
Good on you. If you find everything related to motion is too complicated in Russian, it may be (my guess) because it requires the use of prefixed verbs. But a lot of other situations require them, as well. A sound start seems to be having ready-made answers and starts for many conversations (such as 'where are you from'). You can have these for motion in space, too.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version