Language Learning Forum : Русский Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Antigrav_7
Philippines
Joined 5076 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes

Message 1 of 10
10 July 2010 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
hi, i'm doing this for a friend who's having great trouble with past tense verb forms. Example: nachalsya is stressed on 'sya', but 'nachala' is stressed on 'la', while nachal is stressed on 'na'. And that's just one example. He has no problem with memorising mobile stress in nouns and verb conjugations, but it's such a pain that even past tense forms have stress changes, and what's worse is that all the dictionaries that he has bought doesn't really show all the stress changes in the Russian past tense forms. Is there a way to predict them, or to know whether it will fall on 'sya', etc.?

I'm curious as well about this subject, as I plan on studying Russian next year. However, I might change my mind due to those extremely problematic mobile stresses that occur not only in past tense forms, but also in expressions, like 'na slovo' (stress is on the preposition, which is not usual)

P.S. He's almost plannning on giving up Russian.....
1 person has voted this message useful

shkesper-5
Russian Federation
Joined 5041 days ago

3 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Russian*

Message 2 of 10
10 July 2010 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
я (I) начал (began)
мы (we) начали
они (they) начали
ты (you) начал
он (he) начал
она (she) начала
оно (it, inanimate object neuter) началось
он (it, inanimate object of masculine) начался
она (it, inanimate object is feminine) началась

я (I) сделал (made)
мы (we) сделали
они (they) сделали
ты (you) сделал
он (he) сделал
она (she) сделала
оно (it, inanimate object neuter) сделалось
он (it, inanimate object of masculine) сделался
она (it, inanimate object is feminine) сделалась

Edited by shkesper-5 on 10 July 2010 at 10:07am

novemberain
Triglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5630 days ago

59 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC1, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese

Message 3 of 10
11 July 2010 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Antigrav_7,

There are rules but there sure are exceptions to them. I guess it is not
exactly trivial since people publish
academic
papers
on this subject.

Antigrav_7
Philippines
Joined 5076 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes

Message 4 of 10
13 July 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
novemberain wrote:
Antigrav_7,

There are rules but there sure are exceptions to them. I guess it is not
exactly trivial since people publish
academic
papers
on this subject.

how would you go about learning Russian, whilst dealing with all of these difficulties? Will the learner be able to get used to all of these mobile stress accents, that constantly take place not only in words, but also in expressions?

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5708 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 5 of 10
13 July 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
You just memorize it. I haven't had a problem remembering mobile stress. You'll get used
to it. There are three patterns for a past tense verb: fixed on stem, feminine stress,
and always stressed on the end. Instead of thinking "no, more exceptions!", associate
each verb with its pattern. I find that this makes it way easier to remember it... plus,
you can then start to group verbs like that together and remember them all as a group.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Antigrav_7
Philippines
Joined 5076 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes

Message 6 of 10
15 July 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
lynxrunner wrote:
You just memorize it. I haven't had a problem remembering mobile stress. You'll get used
to it. There are three patterns for a past tense verb: fixed on stem, feminine stress,
and always stressed on the end. Instead of thinking "no, more exceptions!", associate
each verb with its pattern. I find that this makes it way easier to remember it... plus,
you can then start to group verbs like that together and remember them all as a group.

thanks! I actually found out that memorizing where the accent goes was a lot easier than I thought. The only problem that I'm probably going to have is that I'll have to sometimes pause quite a lot just to determine whether it's воДУ оr БОду, most especially when it comes to verbs with mobile accents in their tenses, moods, etc. After a few days, though, I had to stop, as I had to go back to learning Polish.

I plan on mastering Polish (I've been learning it for 2 months), and then afterwards learn Russian. Or will that only make me confuse cognates, rules, words, placement of stress (Polish is always on the penultimate syllable), etc.? And how long do you reckon does it take to get to near-conversational fluency in Russian, considering the fact that I will have mastered Polish, by the time I start studying Russian? That is, if I study and practise 8 hours a day? (this is just a hypothetical quetion:D)

Edited by Antigrav_7 on 15 July 2010 at 2:58pm

adaptissimus
Diglot
optusnet.com.au
Joined 4752 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French

Message 7 of 10
21 April 2011 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
Nachalsya can be stressed on the first syllable as well, and even on the second (the latter is very colloquial and will be seen by many as incorrect). Where the stress is is difficult to predict. There are two, maybe, rules: it tends to be on the root and in informal speech it tends to move to the last syllable, especially in shorter words. In your case it is a 'new' pronunciation, caused by moving the stress to the end. But it can be also on the prefix: vylez (climbed out), but in zalez (climbed on) it is on the second syllable. Maybe becuse 'out' is more informative. Well, this last explanation is a guess.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version