United States
Joined 5461 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 5
05 July 2010 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Summer is here!
...and now I am going to have a few weeks without much work to do, and then I thought: why not study Esperanto again? I've always flirted with the idea of learning Esperanto, but have never really seriously applied myself, but now with time ahead of me, I am wondering: how far do you think I can come in Esperanto in about 3 weeks with about 1-2 (maybe more if I feel like it) hours a day of study? I was thinking of using one of the online email courses or Livemocha or the courses on Lernu. What would you recommend? What did you use and how long did it take? How much do you think I can accomplish? (though I will certainly keep studying afterward, just not as much). Thanks! Dankon!
1 person has voted this message useful

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5241 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 2 of 5
05 July 2010 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Saluton.
Good luck! I ordered an old Teach Yourself Esperanto course from amazon last night for around £10, and I'm
hoping to progress fast. I think you could achieve a lot with just two hours' study per day for a fortnight. It's
important to study a language intensively at the beginning, and I think you'll be getting a good start. :)

Edited by brian91 on 05 July 2010 at 5:19pm

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5783 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 3 of 5
05 July 2010 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
I liked intensively working through the German-language course called "KEK" ("Kostenloser Esperanto-Kurs"), which will take you through the basics quite quickly. I also recommend Sprachprofi's Anki deck, "Esperanto101" which is freely available to download through the public Anki decks inside the software. After that, try ordering some reading material. I'm currently enjoying the Esperanto version of the "Diabolik" comic book. There are some free reading materials available online too. You can also listen to some podcasts, such as Radio Verda.

With 3 weeks of 1-2 hours per day, you'll be able to understand quite a lot of Esperanto. I've found that speaking fluidly is taking me longer than I thought, but perhaps that's because I'm trying to force speaking before I understand everything I read. Overall, I've spent over 10x less time on Esperanto than I have on Swedish, but I understand about the same and I'm somewhat functional at speaking.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rodrigo Chaves
Hexaglot
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5229 days ago

12 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, English, Spanish, Italian, Catalan
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 4 of 5
05 July 2010 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Hej, saluton!
My first Esperanto course was Kurso de Esperanto kurso.com.br/index.php?en . It's a very useful "multimedia computer program for teaching yourself Esperanto" which has 12 lessons(from the very begging[alphabet sounds] to a intermediate level) composed by listening, writting and speaking exercises. I took less than 12 days to complete the course.
Then I moved to Livemocha.com to get new vocabulary and some sentences. Also I made some friends that helped me practicing my Esperanto.
I always listened (and still listen) to Esperanto Podcasts:
Radio Verda: radioverda.com
Pola Radio: polskieradio.pl/eo
Varsovia Vento Elsondoj: podkasto.net
China Radio International: esperanto.cri.cn
On Twitter you can algo find many Esperantists from many countries (I myself know people from China, Indonesia, Japan, Brazil, USA, Spain, Argentina). I don't know if you already use Twitter, but if you do, follow me @RRSChaves :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5132 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 5 of 5
06 July 2010 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
It should take you less than 20 hours to complete the "Kurso de Esperanto", recommended by Rodrigo Chaves, just before this post. In that page, please ask for a tutor to help you.

After finishing that course, you may increase your vocabulary just reading books with help from "Reta Vortaro", the dictionary on the Internet. There are thousands of books and magazines on the web.

There are a couple of videos that can help you watch Esperanto at work. A series of 3 animations for almost 3 hours, is called "Gondolando", and another series, which lasts more than 7 hours with actors from 12 countries (including China, Japan, New Zealand, Cuba, Senegal, ...) is called "Pasporto". Search for them in youtube.

I don't recommend Livemocha because it is too slow. If you chose Lernu, make sure that you chose and finish 1 (one) course. Don't try a second course until finishing the first one.

When you don't feel like studying, just watch the videos. You will learn without any effort. (Animations first, then the others)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version