Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Has Anyone Here Used the Pasporta Servo?

Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
17 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7002 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 17 of 17
07 December 2011 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
My experience using Pasporta Servo from success to failure. First experience 100% success, as I stayed in San Diego and the Esperantist was very hospitable and kind. It was the best impression I could ask from a host. Understanding, and patient with my basic Esperanto. She even drove me around the city, helped with my lost luggage and brought me to U.C.S.D. as I was in the N.A.S.K. program.

Second time I will rate as a 50% pass. The Esperantist was not in the country, but he directed me to another person learning the language. It was just for the sake of socializing and not actually staying in a place of dwelling. Friendly learner and it was nice to keep up the language.

Third attempt in B.C., Canada 0% fail. The lady actually informed me she does not speak Esperanto and failed learning the language. She attempted for five years and still cannot speak it, even elementary level. I was not able to stay with her, as she said she did not know why her name was still in the Pasporta Servo booklet.

Fourth attempt in B.C., Canada again. On hold. The person was out of the country and he said maybe in the future if I ever go there again.

Fifth attempt in São Paulo, Brazil 0% fail. The person I contacted by email and I informed him the specific time I would arrive. He wrote a welcome email and would be happy to have me for the time I was going to be there. It was about two weeks, and he approved it. I wrote another email and informed him I intend to learn Brazilian Portuguese and learn other languages, but I will use only Esperanto in the house. All of a sudden he emailed me back, writing he could not host me, as his two kids speak English and he could not help me with the other languages.

He did say there are other Esperantists I could meet in the city. I emailed him twice for the contact information, as I wanted to brush up in the language before meeting them. I wanted the Esperanto club information in the city. He still has not responded. It will be over six months.

Edited by alang on 07 December 2011 at 4:48am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version