brian91
Ireland
Joined 5225 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 15
01 July 2010 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I have been researching this site, and, of course, other ones, but am still confused as to just how difficult Russian
grammar is. I have a good foundation in German, having studied it for six years at school, and was wondering how
its grammar compares to Russian grammar. Is the declension system really that bad?

So basically I just want to know how difficult the grammar is, and how it compares and contrasts to Eglish and
German.

спасибо!
Brian
2 persons have voted this message useful

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5089 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 15
01 July 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
First and foremost, Russian belongs to a different language family than the languages that you already know. The Slavic grammar will be quite exotic for you (just as the Slavic vocabulary).

Russian grammar is more complex than the German grammar in quite a similar way than German grammar is more complex than the English one.
The concepts you've been introduced to by German, like e.g. gender and the case system will be further elaborated upon, so to say.
The 4 German cases will become 6, and this time in a more complex morphology. And now not only nouns will inflect for gender, but also verbs and adjectives. (The good thing is - there are no articles /as in German/, and the gender of a word is easily determined by its ending - just as in the Latin languages.)

Edited by Derian on 01 July 2010 at 9:41pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5225 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 

Message 3 of 15
02 July 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
I don't want to over simplify, but on a scale of one to ten, how much harder is Russian grammar compared to
German grammar?
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5245 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 4 of 15
02 July 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
If English is 0, it being your native language, I would put German somewhere around a 4
and Russian at a 7. Of course it's all very subjective and different people find
different things difficult, but in general Russian has more grammar than German and
there's quite a lot of things to be aware of as you're speaking.

Things that will make you happy about Russian grammar:
There are no articles ("a" and "the").
There are 3 genders but the gender of most nouns is determined by their endings.
There are only three tenses - past, present, and future.
The alphabet is easy to learn and all words are pronounced as they are spelled.

Things that will make Russian grammar a pain for you:
There is a thing called aspect, which is kind of similar to perfect and imperfect
tenses, but much more subtle and difficult to grasp.
Adjectives and nouns are declined in 6 cases, although there is some overlap, so you
will spend a lot of time memorizing endings.
Verbs of motion are a royal pain.
Stress is unpredictable and movable. Wherever you think a word should be stressed,
that's probably where it's not stressed!

However, Russian is a very beautiful language, with arguably the greatest literary
canon of all languages, and is spoken by the people of an extraordinary country. And
if you are a language fan in the first place, you will probably find the grammar an
interesting challenge rather than an impossible task.

10 persons have voted this message useful

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5225 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 

Message 5 of 15
02 July 2010 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, TixhiiDon.

Can anyone recommend a good book explaining Russian grammar that I can get on amazon? The best I have found
so far is the Oxford Russian grammar and verbs dictionary.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6227 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 6 of 15
02 July 2010 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
It depends on how in depth you want to go. The most thorough is Terence Wade's Comprehensive Russian Grammar, but it is indeed comprehensive; I would say most beginners would drown in it. Schaum's Outline of Russian Grammar is decent as well, but I would use it as a supplement, not your primary focus.

While it's not a grammar text specifically, Nicholas Brown's New Penguin Russian Course covers grammar quite well, while also giving you a good base vocabulary. It also starts out with teaching you the Cyrillic alphabet and pronunciation (but I think you'll want to have audio for that particular task). I would recommend you get it, a decent dictionary, and perhaps a supplementary grammar. As for dictionaries, on the smaller scale is the Oxford Russian Minidictionary; on the larger, Kenneth Katzner's English-Russian, Russian-English Dictionary. Both are quite good, but I tend to prefer Katzner's for more examples given in the definitions.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 7 of 15
02 July 2010 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
@brian91
Wade's "Comprehensive Russian Grammar" is indeed very comprehensive and certainly not suitable for wading through in the beginning. I'd highly recommend going through the grammar sections and notes of the Princeton Russian Course instead. It's free to download online, breaks a difficult subject into lots of easier intuitive steps, and is written in a fun, engaging and light style.

TixhiiDon wrote:
If English is 0, it being your native language, I would put German somewhere around a 4 and Russian at a 7.

Hmm, only 7/10...interesting.

I've personally found Russian pretty tough when it comes to grammar, and can't think of another language I've looked into that was harder in this respect...at least so far. Of course this all depends upon your native language and knowledge of other languages, I guess. Perhaps another Slavic language like Polish could have more complex grammar overall, but unfortunately I can't say as I haven't studied it in any great detail.

Which languages do English-speaking people generally consider more difficult than Russian in terms of grammar?

Edited by Teango on 02 July 2010 at 1:32pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 15
16 July 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:

The alphabet is easy to learn and all words are pronounced as they are spelled.

Now that statement is what we in Norway would call "A truth with great modifications".

That I still struggle like a lioness with the alphabet may be attributed to my dyslexia, but I would think I am not the only one who struggle because:

- o is pronounced a when unstressed
- a is sometimes pronounced like an i when unstressed
- the g is somtimes pronounced like a v
- certain letters change when they are to be found at the end of a word or before certain other letters
- and to confuse you the letter b - which is not a letter b but a letter to let you know that the previous letter will have its sound modified, is incerted both when the sound is modified, and when the sound does not seem to be modified.

Russian is like a lover that drives you crazy, but that you still cannot stay away from.

(and I am not even counting that P=R, that H=N, tht B=V or that Y=OO, since that would be part of the alphabet).

Now I agree with the rest of your statements, and I admire the beauty of the Russian language, but I pray to differ when people say it is read the way it is written. I find it immensely difficult to read.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version