Groupie
United States
Joined 5348 days ago

56 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 21
30 June 2010 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
I hope I'm not being presumptuous, but it seems like it would be appropriate to start this topic here. What are the best resources out there for learning Russian? This could be for any level, from complete beginners to advanced learners.

Books, videos, websites, tapes, DVDs, dictionaries, if you have any good resources to recommend, feel free to post it here. If you are stuck at a particular level in your Russian and would like some recommendations, feel free to post that here too.

Edited by dagojr on 18 July 2010 at 7:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

shkesper-5
Russian Federation
Joined 5014 days ago

3 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Russian*

Message 2 of 21
06 July 2010 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
The first stage the best - method Pimsleur.
The second step - communication with native speakers, reading books and watching movies.
Thus you can learn any language for 2 years.
4 persons have voted this message useful

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5069 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 21
06 July 2010 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
I started Russian with random textbooks and grammar books (for Finnish speakers), but the absolutely best book I
found at the local library was a small leaflet called "The Easy russian Reader". It had small stories, repetitive
vocabulary, it got progressively more complicated and I could read it after only two weeks of trying to learn Russian.
It also had questions (about content) after each text, but sadly no right answers. It's old and made by some British
company.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Fanch35
Triglot
France
Joined 5910 days ago

19 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 4 of 21
16 July 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
I have started Russian will the Assimil method, the edition written by Dronov and Matchabelli containing 70 lessons. The first 21 lessons are great, and definitely get you started with this beautiful language. The audio I could find on the Internet is very nice, nothing to say about it. However, I've been very dispappointed by the rest of the book, the grammar explanations are messy, the vocabulary to learn in one lesson is too demanding and the fun disappears...

This week, I have bought the new edition, written by Melnikova-Suchet, which I believe to be much better. First, there are 100 lessons, so shorter than some insane lessons from the previous book. It's more up-to-date, more cultural notes on Russia, it's really great! It totally relaunched my interest in learning Russian, the drawback is I haven't found the audio for this edition neither in the Internet nor in libraries.

VN
Yugoslavia
Joined 5007 days ago

9 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Serbian*

Message 5 of 21
19 July 2010 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
shkesper-5 wrote:
reading books

Can you tell me how it is possible to read a book in Russian, if you do not know how to pronounce words correctly?

eumiro
Bilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5033 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 6 of 21
19 July 2010 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
VN wrote:
Can you tell me how it is possible to read a book in Russian, if you do not know how to pronounce words correctly?

Tarzan did it in English ;-)

If you have a good visual memory, then it might work. Anyway, it is better to know, how to pronounce the written words.

VN
Yugoslavia
Joined 5007 days ago

9 posts - 14 votes

Message 7 of 21
19 July 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, but i do not understand. Can you explain better? I am totally beginner, and i want to start to learn and from books too, like i do from Pimsleur, russian TV, etc.

VN
Yugoslavia
Joined 5007 days ago

9 posts - 14 votes

Message 8 of 21
22 July 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Check this. :) Good programs for learning Russian. About 169 pages.

http://www.uz-translations.net/?category=russian

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version