Triglot
United States
Joined 5258 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 9 of 34
12 June 2010 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
If it's easy enough for me to learn along with other natural languages without disturbing my study of Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French, or any other language I plan to learn later on, then I will consider it.

Edited by chucknorrisman on 12 June 2010 at 7:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 34
12 June 2010 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
While many people seem drawn to the idea of an artificial auxiliary language, I tend to share Smart's opinion. The
reasons I learn languages would prompt me to put even very rare natural languages before Esperanto. If
Esperanto ever developed a permanent culture and society of fluent speakers, I'd be interested, but that probably
won't happen during my lifetime.

Esperanto has a permanent culture and a society of fluent speakers. They're not a majority in any city, but so what? I wouldn't refuse to learn Yiddish on those grounds...
3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 34
12 June 2010 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
I am a person who rather speaks Esperanto than discusses about the usefulness of the language.

Fasulye

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 13 of 34
13 June 2010 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
I've decided to go for it personally, I ordered a few books in the mail, (and I need to find a dictionary) I'm going to fluency in less than two-three months.

What attracted me was the ease of grammar, and the speed that the language can be learned. It's another language I can add to my list, right?

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 14 of 34
13 June 2010 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
Smart wrote:
I would rather learn Macedonian or Ukranian than learn Esperanto. This is to say a lot since I have almost no plans to learn either of these languages, but at least they have a nation backing them and a rich culture/identity/etc.

Esperanto sounds horrible. That's just a fact.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?F ID=34&TID=20297&PN=1&TPN=1

Then what happened here :(
4 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7031 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 

Message 15 of 34
13 June 2010 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
Smart wrote:
I would rather learn Macedonian or Ukranian than learn Esperanto. This is to say a lot since I have almost no plans to learn either of these languages, but at least they have a nation backing them and a rich culture/identity/etc.

Esperanto sounds horrible. That's just a fact.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?F ID=34&TID=20297&PN=1&TPN=1

Then what happened here :(

I was thinking the same thing. The learning Esperanto thread started by Smart implied that Smart already studied and was positive about Esperanto. This was just last April, 2010 less than two months ago. Now in this thread a different implication that Smart has never studied Esperanto and had no interest in learning it. Confusing to say the least IMO.
1 person has voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 16 of 34
13 June 2010 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
I think Esperanto actually sounds really nice. It's weird and nice to hear Romance/Latin influences and then switch to
Slavic or German influences in the same language. I think I would definitely learn it if I had more time.

As to the use of it as an IAL, I would definitely vouch for that. I feel like I have no identity as an anglophone, and I
would like to have at least some of that identity back.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version