United States
atariage.com
Joined 5912 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 6
11 June 2010 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Hi, all. (Saluton!) I have let my Esperanto studies lapse, but I still do my SRS / vocabulary flashcards.

So, I came up with a new association that worked like a charm for me. The word 'da' (Esperanto) means 'of' (English). Well, when I read 'da' I think of a Scottish nickname for "Dad". ("Dad, but missing a letter.) So I took the phrase "I Love My Dad" and took a letter away from Love, leaving "_ove", which sounds just like of." Hey, I "ove" my "da"; do you?

So that one worked, but I was wondering if there is a way to help remember the correlatives (also in my SRS).

I'm thinking of, "I before E, except after C. And when sounding like A, as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'." -A school rhyme for English speaking students that I still use to this very day.

Well, I wonder if there is a rhyme or mnemonic invented by Esperantists over the years to help us beginners learn the correlatives. Something like the aforementioned rhyme. All that I've really come up with are these: ending in U, it sounds like "WHO", therefore a person... ends in E, so does "PLACE", therefore a location, ends in "IEL", sounds like "YELL", therefore I must "Yell" "way" far a"way" to be heard over there that-a-"way" so therefore "iel" is a "way".

Anyhow, there must be a better memory trick. A poem or something. And if there isn't yet, then maybe we How-To-Learn-Any-Language-ers can invent one.

Ciao!

Edited by RedBeard on 11 June 2010 at 3:48am

1 person has voted this message useful

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5145 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 2 of 6
12 June 2010 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
I teach Esperanto by email. I tell my students don't bother with mnemonics, flash cards, or even dictionaries. Just complete any course. The "Kurso de Esperanto" is a basic Esperanto course that can be completed in less than 20 hours.

Don't worry about learning all the details ... by the time you complete the course you will know a lot of Esperanto. But you have to complete the course. If you don't understand something, don't worry ... just keep going ahead.

About correlatives: If you have a logical mind, or mathematical mind, try to learn the 5 beginnings and the 9 endings. Memorizing 14 elements will allow you to remember all of them. Otherwise, learn them one by one, like any other word. There are 45 correlatives. You will do well enough using one third of them. Just learn the more used ones ... when you find them.

But always remember that all words ending in -o are nouns (a thing, something), and all words ending in -a are adjectives (qualify or describe nouns, things). This works also for correlatives. The endings for adverbs is -e. So, the correlatives ending in -e show a place.

If everything fails ... watch the videos many times. You will learn by listening to Esperanto in action. Find 10 hours of videos to learn Esperanto in this page:
http://esperantofre.com/edu/kino01a.htm

It is better to repeat several times the easier videos.

More information: http://esperantofre.com/edu/iloj01a.htm

Best wishes

Enrique
who has used Esperanto during 50 years (half a century)

3 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 6
12 June 2010 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Enriquee,

The policy of this forum is to not allow URL dropping so please stop doing it.

Eric

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
12 June 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Here is the relevant rule:

URL DROPPING
No URL dropping please. Do not come here to drop the URL of your website and use our forum to promote it. If you wish to share a relevant URL with members of the forum and you have already participated in the forum for a while, you may do so by explaining that the site is yours, why you made it and ask for comments.

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5912 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 5 of 6
13 June 2010 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Enriquee. I have watched most or all of Muzzy on the net. I also watched several of the Passporto En La Tuta Mondo episodes. I enjoyed both of those shows. Then I decided to concentrate more on my German studies, so let Esperanto slide to the back burner.

Regarding the correlatives, though... when you say learn the five beginnings, right there is where we could use a good rhyme. Put all five of those into a four-line poem and voila, done. Noone should forget them again. Then you only need to worry about the other nine endings. [Or, if there are about 15 of the very common words, then that could fit, maybe into an 8 line poem, perhaps...]

Anyway, I know that I,personally, do better with such memory aids I still use them and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

[Edit: P.S. I used to live in Hayward!]

Edited by RedBeard on 13 June 2010 at 9:28pm

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5145 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 6 of 6
13 June 2010 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 

>Anyway, I know that I,personally, do better
>with such memory aids I still use them and
>I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Many of my students told me something like that.
Still, those that got to use Esperanto, just
went through the course as it is. Takes less
than 15 hours to complete this basic course.

I just wonder what mnemonics you use when you
speak English.

Language is getting used to it. I believe that
the student's time is better used to listen or
read the new language, than trying to memorize
details.

Enrique

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version