dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 1 of 5
10 June 2010 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
What interested me most when I first heard about Esperanto was its supposed body of original literature. When I did some research I certainly found that this was true, but couldn't really get a sense of it beyond lists of book titles and names of authors. Apparently, very little has been translated into English.

Finally, I know enough of the language to read some myself. Currently, I am reading Baghy's Viktimoj and love it. I decided to translate the first chapter both as an exercise for myself, but also so that people who don't know any Esperanto can get a little glimpse of it through my (hopefully not too stilted) prose.

Link

I'd love to get some feedback on my work if anyone happens to also have this book. I'm still mulling over the best way to express some Eo idioms (marked in yellow)--most notably, "samsortanoj." I'm still not very far into the book so some of my wording may not fit the themes of the novel yet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 

Message 2 of 5
18 June 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Well, my last post was so popular... ;-)

Here's a nice little exchange between Johano and Katja (the wife of one of the Russian leaders):

Chapter 3 (p. 41)

—Ĉu vi vidas, sinjorina moŝto, tiel ni mensogas al ni mem por luli nin en iluzioj, ĉar la realon forrabis de ni la vivo.
—Kaj eĉ se la vivo etendas al vi la realon, vi preferas la koturnojn. Jen viaj tragedioj,—diris ŝi kun malgaja rideto.
—Jes! Ja! Komuna sorto de la militkaptitoj.
—Sed ne ĉiuj estas revuloj.

—So you see how we lie to ourselves in order to lull ourselves with illusions, because reality stole away our life.
—And even if life offers you reality, you prefer the delusion. Here are your tragedies,—she said with a sad smile.
—Yes! Indeed! The common destiny of the captive.
—But we are not all dreamers.
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5479 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 5
18 June 2010 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
I am happy to hear that you like it, but this is the kind of literature that actually turned me off Esperanto. To me, at least, the story is painfully over written - trying too hard to be dramatic. This highly poetic style seems very popular among Esperanto enthusiasts, but I for one find it very off putting.

Have you come across Esperanto literature that is much crisper, less flowery, and is actually gripping? Something like The Old Man and the Sea would be perfect for somebody of my tastes and would help switch me back to learning Esperanto again.

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 

Message 4 of 5
18 June 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Ha, that's a fair criticism from what I've read so far. Baghy is definitely not the Esperanto Hemingway! I haven't read enough different authors to give an informed opinion, but I haven't come across the sort of prose you mean yet. It seems to me that Esperanto hasn't yet been around long enough to develop a sect of "reactionary minimalists" like Hemingway, but I'd like to be proven wrong. I like Hemingway, but I think he sometimes suffers from the inverse of what you criticize Baghy for.

My plan is to work my way through Auld's list of prose. I'll post here if I come across something that seems to fit the bill. As Jack London wrote in The Call of the Wild,

Quote:
There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive.

I've been enjoying what I've read so far, but it has definitely been too self-aware to attain that state London speaks of.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 5
22 June 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
I am happy to hear that you like it, but this is the kind of literature that actually turned me off Esperanto. To me, at least, the story is painfully over written - trying too hard to be dramatic. This highly poetic style seems very popular among Esperanto enthusiasts, but I for one find it very off putting.

Have you come across Esperanto literature that is much crisper, less flowery, and is actually gripping? Something like The Old Man and the Sea would be perfect for somebody of my tastes and would help switch me back to learning Esperanto again.

Have you tried Tibor Sekelj? He is not much like Hemingway, but he does not tend to suffer from a surfeit of artifice.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version