Message 17 of 52
07 June 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Derian wrote:
Very interesting so far!

trance0 wrote:
With Slovene spelling:
rielajz it.

Are you sure it should be 'it'?
How would you differentiate between the English "it" and "eat"?

Well, Slovene orthography isn`t really suited for rendering English phonetics, is it? ;) It has a short vowel, so I would write i in Slovene transcription, I used a 'double i' for 'eating'.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kounotori
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5125 days ago

136 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 18 of 52
08 June 2010 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
American English pronunciation with Finnish phonetic spelling:

The quick brown father jumps over the lazy shepard dog, whilst eating lemon chocolate with stones. A young lady is singing in the church now, standing near a large window, although she can't be bothered to realize it.

Tö kvik braun faatör tsamps ouvör tö leizi shepörd daag, vailst iiting lemön tsaklit vit stouns. Ö jang leidi is singing in tö tsörts nau, ständing niör ö laarts vindou, oltou shii käänt bii baatörd tu riölaiz it.

Note that the ch (as in "champion"), g (as in "large") and j (as in "jam") sounds don't exist in Finnish, and so are all written with a "ts" consonant cluster. ʃ is "sh", even though š is also possible (it is very rare, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Finns themselves didn't know that š and ž are officially part of the Finnish orthography). Similarly, the ð and þ sounds are written with a simple "t". "W" is part of the Finnish alphabet, but I decided to spell it with a "v" as it looks more Finnish. ;)

Edit: Oh my, there were three other Finnish versions before me... Well, to make this post not a repetition of previous stuff, I humbly offer a Japanese version:

ザ・クウィック・ブラウン・ファーザー・ジ ャンプズ・オーバー・ザ・レイジー・ドッグ 、ワイルスト・イーツィング・レモン・チョ コレート・ウィット・ストーンズ。ア・ヤン グ・レイディー・イズ・シンギング・イン・ ザ・チャーチ・ナウ、スタンディング・ニア ・ア・ラージ・ウィンドー、オルソウ・シー ・キャント・ビー・バザード・ツ・リアライ ズ・イット。

Za kuwikku buraun faazaa janpuzu oobaa za reijii doggu, wairusuto iitingu remon chokoreeto witto sutoonzu. A yangu reidii izu shingingu in za chaachi nau, sutandingu nia a raaji windoo, orusou shii kyanto bii bazaado tsu riaraizu itto.

Edited by Kounotori on 08 June 2010 at 5:55pm

Sungchul
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5209 days ago

8 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Korean
Studies: German, English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Haitian Creole

Message 19 of 52
08 June 2010 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
The quick brown father jumps over the lazy shepard dog, whilst eating lemon chocolate with stones.

더 쿠위크 브라운 파더 점프스 오버 더 래이지 섀뻐드 도그, 와일스트 이팅 래몬 초코래 위드 스토운즈.

deo ku.wi.keu beu.ra.un pa.deo jeom.peu.seu o.beo deo rae.i.ji syae.bbeo.deu do.geu, wa.il.seu.teu i.ting rae.mon cho.ko.rae wi.deu seu.to.un.jeu.

A young lady is singing in the church now, standing near a large window, although she can't be bothered to realize it.

어 영그 래디 이즈 씽잉그 인 더 처치 나우, 스탠딩 니어 어 라즈 윈도, 올도 시 켄트 비 바더드 투 리얼라이즈 잍.

eo yeong.geu rae.di i.jeu ssing.ing.geu in deo cheo.chi na.u, seu.taen.ding ni.eo la.jeu win.do, ol.do si ken.teu bi ba.deo.deu tu ri.eol.la.i.jeu it.

Note: Romanization was done using the standard used by the government and nothing directly related to the IPA.

MäcØSŸ
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5590 days ago

259 posts - 392 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2
Studies: German

Message 20 of 52
09 June 2010 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
In Hindi:
द क्विक ब्राउन फ़ादर जम्प्स ओवर द लेज़ी शैपर्ड डॉग, व्हाईल्स्ट ईटिंग लैमन चॉकलेट विद स्टोन्ज़। ए यंग लेडी इज़ सिंगिंग इन द चर्च नाउ,
स्टैंडिंग निअर अ लार्ज विंडो, ओल्डो शी कांट बी बॉद्रिड टु रिअलाईज़ इट।

D kvik brāun fādar jamps ovar d lezī ḍāg, vhāīlsṭ īṭing laiman cāklet vid sṭonz. E yang leḍī iz singing in
d carc nāu, sṭainḍing niar a lārj vinḍo, olḍo śī kānṭ bī bādriḍ ṭu rialāīz iṭ.

Edited by MäcØSŸ on 09 June 2010 at 7:35am

oz-hestekræfte
Australia
Joined 5459 days ago

103 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish

Message 21 of 52
10 June 2010 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
My attempt at Danish. It's done in my native Australian accent. A couple of notes:

-The obvious corrosponding Danish vowel to that in "Stones" or "window" is "o". But that Danish "o" is much closer to the American pronounciation of it, and I don't feel quite right about using it to represent my accent. Therefore I've marked the vowel like this: "ò" to remind everyone the pronounciation is different. Then you can choose between the danish vowel or the aussie one.

-In Danish the letter "d" is actually used to represent "ð". Although in Danish, words never begin with "ð" nor is it found next to other constanants as in "although"
This makes it a bit difficult to pronounce my sentences if you are going for Danish pronounciation. (At least for me as a non native anyway).
Also Normally when you see d's at the beginning of a word or next to a constanant you would assume it is actually a D not a ð. In this instance we have the English sentence right there to tell us when it should be a ð, But otherwise we would need to work out a new way to distinguish ð from d.

-W and Z although in the Danish alphabet, are still pronounced V and S respectively, so which one is used is not of the greatest importance really.

The quick brown father jumps over the lazy shepard dog, whilst eating lemon chocolate with stones.

De kvik bravn farder djamps òver de lagsig sjæperd dåg, vejlst eting læmen tjåklet wid stòns.

A young lady is singing in the church now, standing near a large window, although she can't be bothered to realize it.

Æ jang lagtig is singing in de tjørtj nav, standding nier æ lardj vindòg, orldòg sje karnt be båderd ty reælejs it.

Edited by oz-hestekræfte on 12 June 2010 at 5:20am

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5089 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 22 of 52
10 June 2010 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
I want to hear them :D

Cantonese:

The quick brown father jumps-over the lazy shepard dog,
打 隙  布冷 花打  針穌花  打 厘 時 些匹 踱
whilst eating lemon chocolate with stones.
壞士池 依聽 呢蚊  剒甩  為乎 士東 時
A  young lady  is singing in the church now,
牙 廿罌 厘地 二時 星形 現 打 桌廚  嬲
standing near a large window,
士釘頂 呢丫 牙 啦主 烏煙賭
although she can't be bothered to realize it.
餓都  樹 奸池 被 波凸 吐 喂丫拉時  熱

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5037 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 23 of 52
18 September 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
In Bulgarian:
Дъ куик браун фадър джъмпс оувър дъ лейзи шипард дог, уайлст ийтинг лимън чоколит уит стоунс. Ъ янг лейди ис сингинг ин дъ чърч нау, стендинг ниър ъ ларч уиндоу, олдоу ши кент би бадърт ту риълайз ит.

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5348 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 24 of 52
19 September 2010 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Levi, what about your TAC log?

I decided I really didn't like the pressure of keeping a log of my studies, so I quit. I find I'm more productive when I just allow myself to do what I want to without having to worry about what I'm going to write about it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version