Sweden
Joined 6151 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 25 of 71
24 May 2010 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Second: The originator of the L-R method has asked me to point out that what you're doing has absolutely nothing to do with L-R. I concur - 1 hour a day and dropping vocabulary scores are patterns I've fallen into myself.

Exactly what are the missing elements? Is it just the hours, or are there some more things that need to be done in order to do the pure L-R?

(I'm very curious since I hope I'll be able to carry out some true L-R now in the summer when I finally get the time).
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 26 of 71
24 May 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:
Volte wrote:
Second: The originator of the L-R method has asked me to point out that what you're doing has absolutely nothing to do with L-R. I concur - 1 hour a day and dropping vocabulary scores are patterns I've fallen into myself.

Exactly what are the missing elements? Is it just the hours, or are there some more things that need to be done in order to do the pure L-R?

(I'm very curious since I hope I'll be able to carry out some true L-R now in the summer when I finally get the time).

Hours are one; passion is another. When I get into dabbling-with-method-experimenting mode, it can be fun and useful, but it's also a pretty good indication I'm not properly engrossed in the story...

Anything further on my part would be speculation, given that I've never managed to do it properly either (... experiments are so tempting). Reread the postings about it for more of an answer with less of a filter from me. Sorry I can't be of more help - I'd rather not further muddy the waters.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 27 of 71
24 May 2010 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
"FIGHTING WINDMILLS", DAY 8/14
(un pequeño experimento en L&R española)

SUMMARY

L&R in Spanish today: 13 hours (Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal)
Background listening: 3 hours (music and completed audiobook files)
TV: 1 hour (El Internado)
————————————————————
Total L&R in Spanish so far: 54 hours
Sum total of Spanish immersion: 69 hours [edit]

Today's reading test: 89% [+1%] (La Sombra del Viento)

NOTES

Volte wrote:
The originator of the L-R method has asked me to point out that what you're doing has absolutely nothing to do with L-R. I concur - 1 hour a day and dropping vocabulary scores are patterns I've fallen into myself.

I think the original L-R technique is really great, and siomotteikiru's posts and ideas have been a real inspiration both personally to me and my studies. And I agree that my method has evolved into something different from that described in the original LR thread.

However, I also recall the originator of the LR method encouraging others to find out what works best for them, and to focus more on enjoying and being passionate about what you do. So I'm taking this good advice now, and really enjoying the stories as well as the whole learning process.

In essence, I'm still remaining focused on the core listening and reading skills, and following in the steps of many other wise members here on the forum, by gravitating over to including some active study techniques and working simultaneously just in the target language instead.

Still, to honour the wishes of the originator of the L-R method, I'm renaming this experiment so as not to upset anyone, and will remove any future references to LR or listening-reading from now on. For the time being however, I'll simply use the term "Listening and Reading" (L&R) (basically what it is) to describe my main studies this week, until I can come up with something more fancy.

As regarding my exposure and commitment to Spanish, don't count me out just yet. When I averaged out my hours for last week, it came pretty close to 6 hours a day (and this is just L&R). As I'm new to all this "massive exposure" business, as well as Spanish, I hope you'll forgive me landing a bit off target in the first few days. This is to be expected really, especially with so many other friends and responsibilities at home craving my attention at the same time.

However this week I'm going to put in some real hardcore hours, closer to those originally suggested, and aim for the Spanish bull's-eye. I've already started off on a good foot by getting up extra early and putting in 13 hours of L&R (17 hours total) today. So I just need now to keep on track, stoke the boilers, and try to steam ahead to success and believe in myself! :)

Edited by Teango on 24 May 2010 at 11:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 28 of 71
25 May 2010 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
Good luck! And yes, finding out what works for you is good - it just gets confusing if people call things by the same name when they end up differing a lot.

Atamagaii wrote a bit of commentary, by the way. It's not specific to you, but you may find it interesting.

Emerald
Triglot
United Kingdom
languagedabbler.blog
Joined 6039 days ago

316 posts - 340 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 29 of 71
25 May 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
I only realised recently that LR was actually a method "invented" by someone. I always assumed it was pretty self-explanatory Listening and Reading. But it has been intereseting reading to old posts about the method.

Like Teango, my methods are a combination of what I have learned from various people on this forum, mixed in with what works for me and the time I have. I have always called it L&R in my head, so I am sticking to that too, though of course I have never claimed it is my own invented method and have always been grateful to all the people who have shared their experiences here.

Volte,
Thanks for sharing the link. It was very interesting. I am going to try and put in some long hours on L&R and see how that works, as I have never spent 8 hours straight on it.

Teango,
It's great to see your progress. Good luck and I think you have done exellent work in such a short time.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5350 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 30 of 71
25 May 2010 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
"FIGHTING WINDMILLS", DAY 9/14
(un pequeño experimento en L&R española)

SUMMARY

L&R in Spanish today: 10 hours ("Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal"; review of "El Principito")
Background listening: 2 hours (music and completed audiobook files)
————————————————————
Total L&R in Spanish so far: 64 hours
Sum total of Spanish immersion: 81 hours

Today's reading test: 89% [ - ] (La Sombra del Viento)

NOTES

One of my joys at the end of the day (apart from sleeping or catching the odd Spanish telenovela of course ;) ) is doing a short basic reading test. This gives me a faint glimpse of how I might fare with a more challenging novel by a different author. It's wonderful to see that I can grasp the gist of a passage (as well as many of the details quite often), but it's even more of a buzz to notice the new words and grammar that I only learned that day popping up like tasty young mushrooms in an otherwise obscured forest floor of words.

So far my new method seems to be working out really well (details at the end of this experiment), and consequently I feel like I'm progressing so much faster than before and gaining in confidence every day. There's still a long, long way to go before I can follow Spanish TV or flick through a novel with ease, but with these new structures and techniques in place, the end goal seems that much nearer than a week ago.

As I was away from my desk for a good part of today, I also decided to go through "El Principito" again for review, this time listening in Spanish and reading in English as originally recommended 3 times in a row from beginning to end. Although I've moved away from this technique now, I thought I'd give it a final try anyway to help bring up the listening side of things and make a final check that I'm moving my methodology in the right direction for me. [edit]

One thing I need to work on though is my sleeping pattern, as I'm slowly realising I can't burn the candles at both ends and also hope to get the most out of study the following day. Putting in these type of hours is tough going, to be totally honest, and I admire anyone who can do this so easily. I guess I'll just try to get more organised starting tomorrow and put in the required pillow-time from now on.

I'm happy I managed to stay on target today, and I need to just keep believing in myself and the effectiveness of my techniques. For once I've completed this experiment, there'll be even bigger fish to fry, as this initial fortnight of L&R is only the second stage (first was preparation) in my fun-packed "Spanish in 1 month" programme, and I'm already starting to get seriously nervous over the thought of fitting in so much more into the second half. Ah well, midnight approaches and I must put these worries far from my mind now - it's time to hit the hay! (...I wonder what that phrase would be in Spanish...?)

@Emerald, Volte
Thanks for the good wishes! :)

Edited by Teango on 26 May 2010 at 11:48am

Emerald
Triglot
United Kingdom
languagedabbler.blog
Joined 6039 days ago

316 posts - 340 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 31 of 71
26 May 2010 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
10 Hours of LR. That's impressive. Hell, 10 hours of studying in one day is impressive
enough for me.

Excellent job.

Do you find you are picking up grammar intuitively through this experiment or are you
actively focusing on learning it?

Kazen
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
japanese-me.com
Joined 5122 days ago

96 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 32 of 71
26 May 2010 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
Ten hours of such brain heavy work is incredible!

teango wrote:
One thing I need to work on though is my sleeping pattern, as I'm slowly realising I can't burn the candles at both ends and also hope to get the most out of study the following day.

I'm a big believer in afternoon naps. I find that hitting the sack for an hour and a half, or roughly one sleep cycle, does wonders for my evening study. You know when you wake up in the morning refreshed and ready to tackle whatever language is thrown your way? It's like a second chance to do that. I know that naps don't work for everyone but it may be worth a shot. ^_^

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version