Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 11
03 May 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know where I can get hold of "Twilight" as a DVD and/or audiobook in Russian? I have decided to try out the L-R method, and have just ordered the book from Amazone, but I do not know how to get hold of the DVD and audiobook.

At the moment I am still at the very beginner's level, which means I can't find this through a Russian website. I need it to be through a webpage in some Western European language. HELP!!

1 person has voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6716 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 11
04 May 2010 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Twilight DVD in Russian

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 3 of 11
05 May 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much!! Does anyone know where I could get hold of the audiobook?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 4 of 11
16 May 2010 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
ushrark wrote:
are you ill ? twilight sucks !

And this elegantly expressed view is based on reading the books exactly how many times?

I have read the whole Twilight series 5-6 times (I've lost count) and after having done 10 years of literature studies at the University I can assure you that it is far better than a lot of the books I had to read during that period. The author has studied English literature herself, and has based her books on among others, Romeo and Juliet and Wuthering Heights.

I have read the first book in three different languages, and after my recommendation, three of my university educated friends have not only read it, but become just as addicted as I am.

You may think this is only for 13 year old girls but it is not.

But please, enlighten me. Which literature would you reccomend?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 11
16 May 2010 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Original Russian literature, especially classics, are really quite nice for L-R'ing Russian, in my opinion. Translations from English tend to be easier, though.

In general, good original literature plays with a language and is beautiful in a way that faithful translations are generally only a pale shadow of - but I'm sure you're aware of this.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 6 of 11
16 May 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Original Russian literature, especially classics, are really quite nice for L-R'ing Russian, in my opinion. Translations from English tend to be easier, though.

In general, good original literature plays with a language and is beautiful in a way that faithful translations are generally only a pale shadow of - but I'm sure you're aware of this.

I would not disagree with you, and once I have learned a bit more Russian I am looking forward to reading the classics, but since I am still strugling just to read the Russian letters, and have trouble putting together a single sentence in Russian, it is pretty tempting to chose something which I almost know by heart, and which I have three other translations of allready. Even attempting to read that is really just a folly at my stage. :-)

So far I have usually turned to Agatha Christie when learning a new language, and then done the classics later. In German for instance, I started out with that and moved on to Sidharta later. Had I started with the latter one, I would never have continued. What is considered good literature, is usually not easy, because part of what makes it beautiful is often the complexity of the language.

dolly
United States
Joined 5587 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 7 of 11
16 May 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
ushrark wrote:
are you ill ? twilight sucks !
There is nothing "ill" about it. Choosing books without a sense of obligation (to the bestseller list or an arbitrary canon) or shame (in reading what one enjoys) shows independence in matters of taste.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 8 of 11
17 May 2010 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Volte wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I would not disagree with you, and once I have learned a bit more Russian I am looking forward to reading the classics, but since I am still strugling just to read the Russian letters, and have trouble putting together a single sentence in Russian, it is pretty tempting to chose something which I almost know by heart, and which I have three other translations of allready. Even attempting to read that is really just a folly at my stage. :-)

So far I have usually turned to Agatha Christie when learning a new language, and then done the classics later. In German for instance, I started out with that and moved on to Sidharta later. Had I started with the latter one, I would never have continued. What is considered good literature, is usually not easy, because part of what makes it beautiful is often the complexity of the language.

Wise strategy. I started Russian with "Heart of a Dog" and followed up with "Crime and Punishment". It was effective, given the time invested, but despite liking Russian I haven't managed to pick up a Russian parallel text since...

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version