United Kingdom
lang-8.com/220477Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5202 days ago

161 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Spanish, FrenchB1, Mandarin

Message 17 of 29
26 July 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
I would like to add another free Romanian course (without audio, unfortunately), released by the Babes-Bolyai University in Cluj.
The site is currently in development, so not all the lessons can be accessed. However, it also has lessons for English, French, German and Russian which I think that, for higher levels (B1+), could also be used by non-speakers of Romanian ( especially for the exercises area)
This is the link to the site.
For non-Romanian speakers that would like to use the lessons I would add a few translations:
  • limba engleza = English
  • limba franceza = French
  • limba Germana = German
  • limba rusa= Russian
  • limba romana = Romanian
  • Unitati = Units
  • exercitii = Exercises
  • gramatica = Grammar

7 persons have voted this message useful

ReachingOut
Pentaglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 4996 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, GreekB2, French, Romanian
Studies: Italian

Message 18 of 29
26 July 2010 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
This is great - at last some materials for more advanced learners! Mulţumesc frumos!
1 person has voted this message useful

mrcosi
United States
Joined 4918 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Romanian

Message 19 of 29
15 October 2010 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
This looks like great stuff. I found the pdf files in the library for levels I-IV but I
can't find the audio files to download. Can you tell me where they are? Thank you.

Kiajw
United States
Joined 6076 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 20 of 29
25 March 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
I'm confused, does the manual not line up with the audio?

varjakpaul
United States
Joined 4687 days ago

22 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 21 of 29
29 May 2011 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
salan18 wrote:
Anyone wanting the corrected audio links for nivelul III ready made, here they are.

I know this is a late response to a year-old post, but many thanks for the links to the audios for level 3.

I had found this series on another site but it didn't have the audio for level 3. I assume also because the other site had problems with downloading it.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5715 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 22 of 29
30 May 2011 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
As I do not see any English at all in the materials, I gather this is a course in Romanian for those hoping to improve their pre-existing skills in Romanian, and not something for beginner-level self-study students - is that right, or am I being dumber than a plank?

Edited by Spanky on 30 May 2011 at 12:44am

varjakpaul
United States
Joined 4687 days ago

22 posts - 20 votes
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 23 of 29
30 May 2011 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
As I do not see any English at all in the materials, I gather this is a course in Romanian for those hoping to improve their pre-existing skills in Romanian, and not something for beginner-level self-study students - is that right, or am I being dumber than a plank?

Well there are two courses being talked about in this thread. The one mentioned as the topic of this thread and the one mentioned at the top of page 3. I've looked at the basic material for both, scanning the beginning chapters and listening to corresponding audio.

I have been studying Romanian for five days. I didn't find the two courses in this thread incomprehensible. Maybe because I already know one Romance language (Spanish) and have also had a year of greek, russian and latin. Plus I have listened to a couple chapters of Pimsleur Romanian and also did some Byki cards (not many though).

So, I dunno. I imagine I could use these courses (at least the beginning level) without much problem. The problem is that these are courses. So they both seem to go through the language systematically, introducing new vocabulary, grammar, and so forth, with varied exercises.

While I may toy around with one or both of these courses, I've learned long ago that such courses don't do much for me as far as long term facilitation of communicative ability in the target language. So as for me, I could do them, but not get long term utility out of them. It might be different if I had a tutor, who could go through the units with me, and we just pick and choose the important stuff.

Um, oh, sorry, I'm rambling. But this gives you some idea of my situation. I think my background in languages would allow me to plunge into either one of these courses, but they remind me too much of classroom learning, and we all know that the classroom is one of the worst places to learn a language.

So, yeah, I think the courses are doable by someone just starting out in Romanian, it also depends on what language skills, aptitude, previous languages, and - as always - motivation that the learner bring to the table. I think Romanian is pretty easy, but maybe because I'm pretty good at picking up new languages - especially one that builds on the Romance schema (Latin, Spanish) that I already have, and uses some Slavic borrowings thrown in. But that's me. Now throw me the tones of an Asian language and I'm a dolt, no matter what I try, short of living over there and being immersed in it.

ericg1977
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

15 posts - 17 votes

Message 24 of 29
03 November 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
I found a begginer's course in Romanian, and many other languages that is almost too good to be true. It's a 100 lesson audio course. Go to www.book2.de and pick your native language and the language you want to learn. I just completed the 100 lesson Romanian course.

Does anyone know where I can hear a news/current events broadcast with the corresponding text? This is an excellent method to learn a language, but I can't seem to find this in Romanian.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version