United States
Joined 5243 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 9 of 16
16 April 2010 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
remush wrote:

Do not skip the warning at the beginning.

Ha! Touché, my friend. I understood enough of the first paragraph of the warning to see how it applies to our conversation. I'm definitely not just interested in "tedaj verkoj". (tedious works?)

I think you are right on both points: I really need to read an English translation and learn some Esperanto before I can make a good decision. I've decided to do both. I'll definitely try the Beaucaire you suggested when I think I'm able. And I'm trying to find a Sekelj in English. Thanks.

esperanto41 wrote:

then did the Esperanto translation myself -- quite a learning experience

Impressive, e41. Translating lyrics and keeping the meter seems like it would be quite the challenge.
1 person has voted this message useful

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
remush.beRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6078 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English, Dutch
Studies: German, Polish

Message 10 of 16
19 April 2010 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
remush wrote:
dmaddock1 wrote:

Actually, I didn't find a lot on Wikipedia. Sure, the above article has a laundry list of names, but most of those pages are stubs and often say little more than "this person was/is an Esperanto author". Nor does it help me to identify the "classics" and "bestsellers" of Esperanto literature.

Unfortunately, the information I have is in Esperanto.

See http://katalogo.uea.org/index.php?kateg=pror

legu pli means read more
recenzoj means review

I am glad to learn that my impression was wrong.

Note that some books are not easily translatable, like those of Raymond Schwarz.
Also Louis Beaucaire, writing in plain Esperanto, is not really translatable.
Try to read a few short stories of
http://www.esperanto.mv.ru/Kruko/index.html
and you will understand why. This is easy Esperanto. Do not skip the warning at the beginning. You could probably guess a lot if you have a vocabulary like http://remush.be/tezauro/@oftKontakto.html and master the prefixes and suffixes. After that you will be ready for more original work. There is a lot of playing with words in Esperanto.
Come back then.

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6078 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 

Message 11 of 16
19 April 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
El la Verda Biblio is perhaps more understandable for beginners as it mimics the simple language of he Bible. This is a satire about the Esperanto movement. So one needs to know a lot of the language history to understand the allusions.

Read here the translation of "La Infana Raso".
Generaly about translation work there is a lot to find here
2 persons have voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 

Message 12 of 16
19 April 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Well, I haven't had much luck in finding other English translations of Esperanto originals so I'm going with the suggested "La Infana Raso", though I prefer prose to poetry. The only other translation from Esperanto I could actually find to buy was Tivadar Soros' memoir, which I may buy too. It was suggested to me by the translator who happens to be a professor at a nearby university. He also confirmed that there just aren't many readily available English translations.

Thanks e41 for the link to your HTML pamphlet. I paired it with the Librivox recording. Not using it for learning, but I liked reading Zamenhof's own words on the matter.

Given the ease of learning, I've started studying anyway as a 3 month investment to gain a reading proficiency seems very possible and certainly worth the effort. I have a copy of Richardson's "Esperanto: Learning and Using the International Language", the radio course "Jen Nia Mondo", and enough book suggestions here to get started.

But, if I can speak from my own experience trying to educate myself, the Esperanto community is under-stressing its literary offerings in its proselytizing. Just compare the English Wikipedia article mentioned earlier to its Esperanto counterpart. Man, I wish I could read that now!

It truly does appear that to learn about Esperanto literature I must first learn the language. Ironically, I feel motivated by the lack of detailed information in English because I've taken a lot of time to find out that this literary culture exists and have some sense of what I may be missing. I suspect a lot of people like me don't know any better, especially given some of the opinions of (clearly uninformed) critics of Esperanto on this forum.

3 persons have voted this message useful

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6078 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 

Message 13 of 16
20 April 2010 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
You are right. Poetry is not suited for beginners. This is only to give you a glimpse of what can be done when one masters the language.
A scientific work like "La originoj de Specioj" is much better. You can order a e-book copy at
http://www.esperanto.be/cgi-bin/mal/Web_store/web_storeen.cg i

Some e-books are free: see http://www.omnibus.se/cgi-bin/inkoListo.pl

doktoro Jekyll kaj Sinjoro Hyde

La Tempo Maŝino

Lando de Blinduloj

Gulivero en Liliputo
2 persons have voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 

Message 14 of 16
07 June 2010 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Mi studas Esperanton antaux ses semajnoj. Mi legis la libron de Richardson kaj "Gerda Malaperis!" En nia datreveno mi edzino donas al mi du librojn de Baghy "Viktimoj" kaj "Sur Sanga Tero". Mi mirigis tie, kie mi eklegis unu cxapitron de "Vikitimoj" kaj komprenis gxin.

Nun mi devas decidigxi se legi gxin aux provi alian pli facilan libron legi. Cxu proponu?

redakto: Pardonu, cxiam mi skribas "kai" cxar mi ankaux studas Grekon!

Edited by dmaddock1 on 07 June 2010 at 12:28am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 15 of 16
07 June 2010 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
Se vi sxatas 'Viktimoj' kaj povas legi gxin, legu. Se ve preferus iu, kiu estas pli facila, do, elektu alian libron. Vere, vi povas elekti mem.

Kaj... gratulon!

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 

Message 16 of 16
07 June 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Dankon, mi provos. Espere, gxi ne igxos pli malfacila tamen se okazi mi povas sxangxas. Kiel vi diris, mi povas elekti. (Ankaux mi demandis cxar tie mi uzas Esperanton. ;)

Fine mi laboras skribi kelkajn pagxojn pri originalaj Esperanta literaturo en la angla lingvo cxar mi opinias ke pli anglaparoladanoj lernos Esperanton se ili scius facile pri gxin.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version