United States
Joined 6178 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 15
05 April 2010 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
The 550+ page book was written in 1932 by Dr. Benson, completely in Esperanto. It's sort of a reader, starting as pictures and words, later in the form of a comic book, and finally as a story. Much of the book is read while showing the "slide" or part of the book that is being read on Youtube. This has got to make Esperanto even easier to learn (if that's possible...) !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuQEeE5WgNw
9 persons have voted this message useful

delectric
Diglot
China
Joined 6991 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 2 of 15
05 April 2010 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
This is great very easy to watch. My Esperanto study is off at he moment while I
concentrate on French and Mandarin. However, it's so easy to get drawn into it. Beautiful
language. Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 3 of 15
05 April 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Make it easier to learn? No chance.

The main reason people don't like native-language instruction in languages is that rules are complicated and there's no way to be clear, concise and completely correct at the same time. This isn't a problem if you have a language that has been planned.

I'm not a fan of Esperanto and I don't intend to ever learn it, but it just seems crazy to teach it this way. Use what people already know.

Blunderstein
Triglot
Pro Member
Sweden
schackhandeln.se
Joined 5228 days ago

60 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Esperanto
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 15
05 April 2010 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't choose that type of material either, but in some cases it's all there is.
Also, some people obviously find it useful.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6280 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 5 of 15
05 April 2010 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
I heard of Africans using this book to learn Esperanto, because it's out-of-copyright (i.
e. free) and doesn't pre-suppose knowledge of a European language. There are learning
materials for Esperanto in Swahili and in some languages of Western Africa, but we
shouldn't forget that there are so many different languages in Africa and they are not as
closely related as European languages.

delectric
Diglot
China
Joined 6991 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 6 of 15
06 April 2010 at 4:53am | IP Logged 
I downloaded the book it has a dictionary at the back with translations in 30 languages.
Really I think the book is very intuitive to use. Due to the illustrations it's a
beautiful piece of work. Obviously the author has spent a long time thinking about how to
build up the vocabulary and rules naturally - more a work of love than anything. I would
definitely say this book could make Esperanto extremely easy to use, especially with the
amount of audio that's read on youtube. You could assimilate a lot of the rules naturally
and then later get out the grammar book. I just wish the whole book was read like the
longer texts near the end.

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6956 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 7 of 15
06 April 2010 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
I think the book is great. Thank you for the information.

I find I can simply read the book. No high level of concentration is required. While the approach might not work so well for some languages with complicated grammar and case systems, it is effective with Esperanto as the grammar is regular.

I have added the book to my Esperanto resources.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 15
06 April 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
goosefrabbas wrote:
The 550+ page book was written in 1932 by Dr. Benson, completely in Esperanto. It's sort of a reader, starting as pictures and words, later in the form of a comic book, and finally as a story. Much of the book is read while showing the "slide" or part of the book that is being read on Youtube. This has got to make Esperanto even easier to learn (if that's possible...) !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuQEeE5WgNw

For beginners of Esperanto the video lessons of this Esperanto textbook could be very useful because it's a combination of images + text + audio. So a learner can in three ways together aquire new vocabulary (and basic grammar). I would recommend such a resource in combination with other study material.

Fasulye

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version