Joined 5162 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 57 of 63
19 November 2011 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Delodephius on the other hand as a native speaker of Slovak says he has
difficulties understanding Czech. He might be an exception, but I don’t think that is
probable.

Actually I am an exception. Well my people are. I'm a Lowlander Slovak (I live in
Vojvodina) and we here have very little exposure to Czech, almost none in fact. Plus, we
retained an archaic pronunciation of Slovak as our dialect hasn't gone though the same
process as did Slovak in Slovakia during the Czechoslovak period. To us, honestly, the
language of Slovaks from Slovakia, regardless of whether from the east or west, has a
distinct flavour of Czech, both in sound and in vocabulary. Older people from Slovakia
however, still speak a bit the way we do, especially from backward rural areas where
there was little exposure to modern technology and culture, and thus modern language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6343 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 58 of 63
24 November 2011 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Delodephius,

that was exactly what I was pointing to.

I said, that to me it seems, that the fact that Slovaks in Slovakia understand Czech so well is only due to the exposure to this language that other native speaking Slovaks like you didn't have.

What I said was, that that you might be an exception among your friends, but that you probably are not.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6348 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 59 of 63
12 August 2016 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
Actually I believe урод means freak in Russian. But there are other false friends like грозный
which means scary in Russian and грозен, ugly in Bulgarian.

Mm-m, урод means "freak" only in colloquial, slang Russian, the neutral meaning is "ugly", as was suggested earlier.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6348 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 60 of 63
19 August 2016 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
And one more thing:
1qaz2wsx wrote:
Ayazid wrote:
1qaz2wsx,
most of your Czech translations are totally wrong, where did you find them?

I don't speak czech. [...] And here is another funny example of a czech night club called
'PRDEL'.http://www.prdelclub.cz/ In russian it means ''He let some...air out''. A czech-russian speaker is needed
here.

I don't think the correct czech translation is not the point here, perhaps you should read through the thread or the
forums more carefully. Translations by Ayazid are correct."Pozor, policie varuje" means "Attention, police warns:"
and it is followed by some advice like "pay attention to your personal belongings". And prdel means ass.

"Prdel" could be of the same origin as Russian "пред'ел", which means "the edge, the end". In that case it would
make sense that the end or edge of a body, the buttocks, would be called "prdel" in Czech.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6031 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 61 of 63
21 July 2017 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
In Max Hastings' Catastrophe, about 1914, the first year of World War 1, he cites
a Russian book mentioning a conversation between a soldier in the Austro-Hungarian Army
who had been captured and a Russian (possibly Ukrainian) soldier. The Russian asks if he
is Hungarian. The latter says he is Slovak (over 40% of the Austro-Hungarian Army
belonged to one Slavic nationality or another). They commiserate with each other about
being at war because their respective emperors wanted to go to war. What I find
interesting about this episode is there seemed to be little or no language barrier
between a Slovak and a Russian, at least as long as they kept the conversation simple. I
have read that some Eastern Slovak dialects are transitional to western Ukrainian ones.

Dannylearns
Netherlands
learnlanguage.me
Joined 2480 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Studies: English*

Message 62 of 63
25 July 2017 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
What about Slavik languages with different alphabets. I'm thinking of learning russian
and I have some experience in slovak.. this should help but it will still be tricky as
the alphabet is so different. did anyone do such a transition before, any tips?

Dannylearns
Netherlands
learnlanguage.me
Joined 2480 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Studies: English*

Message 63 of 63
01 August 2017 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Russian has started and there are indeed many similarities!

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version