326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 105 of 142
09 July 2009 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
zocurtis wrote:
Grammaticus wrote:
Norwegians are often given credit for speaking good English, but it's not always the case. About 30 years ago, when opening a fair, prime minister Oddvar Nordli said in his welcome adress: "Welcome to this mess!". Messe in norwegian means fair.

That's hilarious. I think this is a very interesting post by the way. Read all the pages. Barack Obama speaks Indonesian, has a passable knowledge in Spanish and I think he is an intellectual in English.

From what I've heard, I don't think his Spanish or his Indonesian are that great actually. Funny, considering the University of Columbia has foreign language requirements. Why doesn't he speak more languages if he went there?
1 person has voted this message useful

livlov
Diglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5404 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English

Message 106 of 142
13 July 2009 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Bart wrote:
The Belgian prime minister was with president Bush just a few days ago and he spoke English.
According to Belgian newspapers the American press was very impressed by our prime minister's language skills, as they wrote "He speaks English, French and another language."
pretty funny as that "other language" is Dutch, his mother tongue ;)

in fact, I was very much impressed by some Europeans' good command of English especially Belgian, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian and Swiss. Majority of the those people I met during my trips could speak English as well as they speak their own language.

paparaciii
Diglot
Latvia
Joined 6127 days ago

204 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian
Studies: English

Message 107 of 142
14 July 2009 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
Hitler was rather poorly educated and had a xenophobic reaction to hearing foreign languages being spoken around him, especially in Vienna, a rather cosmopolitan place in his youth and disliked by him for that very reason. He also seems to have regarded knowledge of foreign languages as a "Jewish" trait, and so something to be avoided.
Just because he had such beliefs he was poorly educated?

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6063 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 108 of 142
14 July 2009 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
His school record was apparently nothing to shout about and he also encountered difficulties in art college, not completing the course. I don't, incidentally, think he was lacking in intelligence (not the same as education). The Third Reich tended to despise intellectualism and most academic pursuits, and this went so far that the authorities sometimes became worried at the impact this had on young people. One article in a newspaper was entitled, Are our youth becoming more stupid?
There have been well-educated xenophobes. Hitler was not one.

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5503 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 

Message 109 of 142
14 July 2009 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Hitler may not be as xenophobic as you think. He was quite fond of opera; I believe his favorite was Verdi. Germany's allies went far beyond German speaking countries as well.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6063 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 110 of 142
14 July 2009 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
By all accounts he preferred Wagner.
Except for Switzerland, nearly all German-speaking territory was incorporated in the Third Reich anyway.
As to allies, the Japanese were on the other side of the world, fighting a separate war. The Italians were allies because they wanted to be at the top table when they (mistakenly) thought the war was essentially over. And the Romanians, Hungarians, Slovaks etc. were on the German side because they wanted to avoid being the Germans' next invasion target.

paparaciii
Diglot
Latvia
Joined 6127 days ago

204 posts - 223 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian
Studies: English

Message 111 of 142
15 July 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
His school record was apparently nothing to shout about and he also encountered difficulties in art college, not completing the course.
I believe that being well-educated means that one must have sufficient amount of knowledge(information, competence) in certain field(s) and reasonably high IQ to know what to do with the knowledge he/she has. I don't think that the only cogent demonstration of how "well-educated" you are is high grades at school. In my opinion Hitler knew how the things must be done. He conquered almost all Europe for God's sake!

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5503 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 

Message 112 of 142
16 July 2009 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
"He attended opera at least once a week, sometimes twice. In this way he saw his favorite Wagnerian operas, Lohengrin and Die Meistersinger, several times, and attended at least one performance of The Flying Dutchman, Tannhäuser, Tristan and Isolde, Parsifal, and the Ring cycle. He also saw Mozart's Marriage of Figaro and The Magic Flute, Beethoven's Fidelio, and five operas by Verdi: The Masked Ball, Il Trovatore, Rigoletto, La Traviata, and Aida, Which he admired more than the others. He showed no enthusiasm for Gounod's Faust, which he regarded as vulgar, or for the operas of Smetana. In his eyes Wagner reigned supreme above all other operatic composers. It was an opinion he formed in Linz, and it was now comfirmed by the superb performances he saw at the Opera House, with Gustav Mahler conducting."

Excerpt from The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler by Robert Payne

I'd say there's a good chance he knew a few words of Italian and he certainly didn't seem xenophobic when it came to Verdi. He probably would have won the war if he would have cleaned up the western front by taking the Brits before invading Russia. Even then he stood a good chance but his army was spread thin because of the assistance he was lending to Italy. Wonder how that would have affected global communications and language usage if he'd won.

This discussion contains 142 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version