kusterdu
United States
Joined 5169 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 8
02 February 2010 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Has anybody found a useful way for studying Japanese pitch accent? It seems very few learners discuss this or find it to be a problem. I know it's not necessary to learn it, but I want to sound as native-like as I can. Any help would be appreciated.
1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6528 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 2 of 8
02 February 2010 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
Most textbooks don't cover the pitch accent, but you could always study the accent guides and dictionaries that are
published for native speakers, and it's good to learn some of the common minimal pairs (like kaki and hashi that
can mean three different things depending on the accent).

Most important, I think, is to be aware they exist and to try to imitate the pitch and cadence of native speakers.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5902 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 4 of 8
12 February 2010 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
My current Japanese book, Ultimate Japanese Beginner-Intermediate, does mark the pitch accent, and I think that Colloquial Japanese does also. I don't think it should be too much of a problem for comprehension, because context should probably help in differentiating, and kanji will help in written language. However, it does make a marked difference between people sounding like foreigners and people sounding native. I do also agree with Captain Haddock in that listening to spoken Japanese should help you naturally understand how it should sound.

Veedo
United States
Joined 5181 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 8
24 February 2010 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Japanese Step by Step has pitch marked as well.

Studying pitch accent from a book wont help very much though. Like Captain Haddock said, it's better to just know it exists and try to imitate native speakers. Sometimes pitch isn't entirely obvious and trying to say a word knowing only its pitch might actually sound worse than if you said it naturally.

There's a series known as "Japanese Core 2000 sentences" on smart.fm that you can try to imitate for practice.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5168 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 6 of 8
27 February 2010 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm in the process of studying "Japanese Step by Step" along with other materials.

It's nice to have a written version of the pitch differences, but I don't think there's any way it can really be sufficient. At least for me, I really need some audio elements to my studying so that I can hear all the words I'm learning at least a few times as they are actually used by a native.

I'm not sure where you're at in your studies, but things like Pimsleur, Assimil, or some textbooks (I use Genki, which has many audio tracks) can give you a chance to naturally get those pitches into your head without studying them from written materials. I've found that when I am able to listen to the language a bit before really cementing the words into my mind then I don't really have to think about pitch at all, it comes very naturally as long as you learn the word as it is pronounced by natives BEFORE you absorb it incorrectly by trying to pronounce it on your own without much guidance.

From what I've read, and from what I've experienced to some degree, is you can really mess up your pronunciation later on if you're doing reading and writing before you get some listening practice in. When reading or writing you get an "internal monologue" going where you are "pronouncing" things in your head, probably incorrectly, and those bad habits are harder to expunge later. Therefore the more you can hear the words correctly, either before or as you are learning them, the better, so bad pronunciation habits don't have time to fester in your mind, forcing you to fix them later.

I've been pretty good about it, but I still notice words that I've learned from texts a bit too early, and that I'm now still trying to pronounce as they existed in my head as I learned them, rather than how they should be spoken.

Edited by Sandman on 27 February 2010 at 2:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 8
02 March 2010 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
I’m in the same boat as you are. I’ve just about given up on finding resources; instead, I’ve been trying to figure out the rules myself. I did get an accent dictionary, but apart from giving me the pitch on individual words, it’s not very helpful for figuring out patterns at the phrase level. Unless I can derive pitch at the phrase level from the pitch of individual words...

Of course, natives never know about this, and neither do teachers – if they’ve put any thought into it at all. They’ll tell you where the pitch is, but they can’t explain why taBEru becomes TAbete or taBETAi, or why haNAsu becomes haNASAnai.

While we all agree that pitch is not essential, I’ve been misunderstood many times because of it and I too wish to speak like a native. Of course, you should imitate natives, but how about when you are uttering phrases you have never heard? Which, let's face it, is most of the time.

We could start a thread to determine the rules of pitch assignment, hopefully with the help of natives, and I could share with you the little I’ve understood so far.

Edited by Arekkusu on 04 March 2010 at 5:56pm

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 8 of 8
12 February 2018 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
(like kaki and hashi that
can mean three different things depending on the accent).

What do they mean? I only knew that "kaki" means "fence".

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version