Tags: Esperanto
 Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 5
30 December 2009 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
I just published some exercises designed to help you master Esperanto affixes on my blog: http://www.learnlangs.com/blog/2009/12/30/practise-esperanto -affixes/ .

Mastering the affixes is the key to understanding and speaking Esperanto fluently, as the affixes are very wide-spread and they help you wiggle out of a lot of vocabulary trouble and even some grammar issues.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 5
09 January 2010 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I just published some exercises designed to help you master Esperanto affixes on my blog: http://www.learnlangs.com/blog/2009/12/30/practise-esperanto -affixes/ .

Mastering the affixes is the key to understanding and speaking Esperanto fluently, as the affixes are very wide-spread and they help you wiggle out of a lot of vocabulary trouble and even some grammar issues.

I strongly recommend these exercises. They were a huge part of how I became comfortable in Esperanto.

1 person has voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5797 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 3 of 5
09 January 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
What really messes with my passive understanding is the usage of suffixes as individual words, especially when they then have their own suffixes added on. After reading through and understanding all of the dialogs from KEK, I don't really have any problems understanding the suffixes as used normally. It was quite a good set of lessons.

When speaking, I think one of my biggest problems so far is accidentally inserting Spanish words when I encounter a new root that I want to use. I commonly feel a hesitation where I have to decide whether the word I'm about to say is Esperanto or Spanish in origin. At least I seem to have stopped saying "es" instead of "estas" in some situations.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5396 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 4 of 5
09 January 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
How often do you guys use Esperanto? How do you find a speaker of it besides the internet?

I've always loved the idea of Esperanto, I just wondered if I could readily use it :D

-Jordan

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5797 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 5 of 5
09 January 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
I actually just joined a facebook group about Esperanto, and noticed that one of my acquaintances was listed in it too. I just sent him a message and we're going to meet up to chat in Esperanto. There's also an email list for Esperantists in my city, so I've emailed that to see if there are any meetings. Coincidentally, the Esperanto podcast "Radio Verda" is done by two people from here in Vancouver as well, so I'd like to meet them at some point. I know there are several other people I've met here in Vancouver over the years who speak Esperanto, but I don't have any current way to contact them.

Later this year I'm planning to do some traveling in Europe, so I'm going to try to use the Esperanto Servo list to find some accommodations with other Esperantists while I travel. I'm planning to go to some larger Esperanto events, like the "Summer Esperanto Study" in Slovakia, and possibly the Universala Kongreso (the biggest yearly event) if I decide I can afford flying to Cuba.

If you live near a major city, there are probably some people there who speak it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version