Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 6
23 December 2009 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Reading "Raportoj el Japanio", I was struck by the sentence "Oni memvole defendkorpusanigxas" - not because it's unusual, but because it's a nice illustration of perfectly normal Esperanto agglutination.

"Defendkorpus" is a rendering of "(Japanese) self defense force"; the interesting part is the suffixes, -an -igx and -as. 'an' means 'member', 'igx' means 'become', and 'as' is the present tense verb ending. So, the whole word means "Becomes a member of the Japanese self defense force"; it's quite a bit to pack into one word.

"Memvole" is simpler; it divides into mem-vol-e, meaning 'self', 'will', and the '-e' means that it modifies the verb; an English rendering would be "voluntarily" or "of one's own volition."

For anyone curious, 'Oni' simply means 'one', in the sense of the impersonal English 'you'.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Aquila
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5292 days ago

104 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 2 of 6
26 December 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
The word compositions in Esperanto are a bit unusual for me. I learn some Esperanto beside my target language French but I find it a very pleasing language for so far. It’s much easier to learn in comparison with French. And I think the use of these suffixes makes the language very original. It seems to me, that you can make hundreds (maybe thousands) of combinations with it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 3 of 6
27 December 2009 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
That's a nice example- most examples I see of agglutination in eo are a lot shorter and
less interesting than that one. :)

j0ma
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5515 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Esperanto
Studies: Yiddish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 6
28 December 2009 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Hello,

Wouldn't that example also qualify as a polysynthetic one? Because polysynthetic just means having many morphemes in one word, making it possible to squeeze into one word something that would take a whole sentence in another language.

Thanks,
Jonne

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5378 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 5 of 6
28 December 2009 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
No, Esperanto is not polysynthetic. Subjects, verbs and objects are represented by separate words in Esperanto.

j0ma
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5515 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Esperanto
Studies: Yiddish, Mandarin

Message 6 of 6
28 December 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
Oh yes, how stupid of me. :)
Thanks anyway!

Jonne

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version