Diglot
United States
Joined 5686 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 17 of 19
16 December 2009 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
I noticed that today when I was at school on the computer. It brought a smile to my face, and I was happy that Esperanto was being recognized on the open web. Hopefully it draws more attention to the language. It would be really interesting if it did. It will be interesting to see how many people speak Esperanto in the next ten years. I know that it is on my list of languages to learn.
1 person has voted this message useful

Dainty
United States
Joined 5296 days ago

38 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 18 of 19
16 December 2009 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
That was funny to me today, because I mentioned Esperanto to my little sister today and her reaction was "huh?" so I told her about it and she asked "Is that the flag that's on google today?" and I was like, "Oh, I guess it is!" What a pleasant surprise. :)

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 19 of 19
16 December 2009 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
The Esperanto flag was on all international Google sites I could ascertain except Britain, Australia, Brazil and English-speaking Canada. Oddly enough, Google's French-speaking Canada site also had the flag. I don't know who selected the countries or why Brazil with its tons of Esperanto speakers was left out, but I'm happy for the huge exposure anyway, especially as it leads to even more exposure through media reporting on it.

The logo started appearing around local midnight in each country and disappeared around local midnight again. That is why you, Evinyatar, were not able to see it on Google-Spain, Google-Greece, Google-Japan and so on. On google.com it only showed for Americans, which led to some confusion initially.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version