Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6280 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 19
15 December 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Not sure if you noticed, but Google is displaying an Esperanto flag today in honour of the 150th anniversary of Zamenhof's birthday. Right now you can see it in almost all national versions of Google.

This is causing an avalanche already, even though it's only 11am in Europe. In Google Japan, "Esperanto" (in kana) was the 10th most popular search term when I looked this morning; earlier tweets indicate that it peaked at 1st place even. In the USA, "ll Zamenhof" is presently 7th most popular search term. For other countries it's not possible to see live trends.

Prompted by this, der Stern, one of the most popular German political magazines, has written about Esperanto, so has the WDR, the Neues Deutschland and Excite France. I'm sure other sites are coming out with articles still.

Already lernu.net and esperanto.info are slow or unresponsive, suffering under the load of so many visitors. Fortunately the first result searching for Esperanto on Google is Wikipedia, so people should be able to learn basic information about Esperanto anyway.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 15 December 2009 at 2:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5479 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 19
15 December 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Since I decided that my challenge for 2010 is to learn Esperanto, I now seem to see Esperanto everywhere. Either there is a sudden flourish of interest, or I am simply more attentive than before. Perhaps it is similar to when you buy a new car, and suddenly see cars of the same make and colour everywhere.

My kind mother has managed to get for me Teach Yourself Esperanto (20 pounds for a used copy, and no audio - so hardly a bargain) - which I will collect when I go to the UK for Xmas. Then on 1st January the immersion begins (well, 1 hour a day) and I will be absolutely delighted if Esperanto becomes more popular so that I will have more people to talk to and learn with.

theallstar
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5612 days ago

81 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 3 of 19
15 December 2009 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
I also intend to give Esperanto a real push in the first half of 2010. I still only really know the very basics but in the new year I'll have more time on my hands as I'll have finally finished Remembering The Kanji. I too would love it if Esperanto were to become more popular.

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7186 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 19
15 December 2009 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Please don't use all caps in titles - I changed PUSHES to "pushes".

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6074 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 5 of 19
15 December 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Nun, la angla retpagxo de google havas la verda stelo!! Gxi estas tre bela.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5638 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 6 of 19
15 December 2009 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
I intended to use 2010 to push myself from a beginner in Esperanto to Advanced fluency! :)
I, too, would be glad if the language became more popular- the more chances I have to speak it with people, the
better! Especially since there's no Esperanto groups in my area. :(

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 7 of 19
15 December 2009 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
My kind mother has managed to get for me Teach Yourself Esperanto (20 pounds for a used copy, and no audio - so hardly a bargain) - which I will collect when I go to the UK for Xmas.

I first became aware of Esperanto in 1975 when I moved to Germany. On a trip to London, I bought the little yellow Teach Yourself Esperanto (1974). After studying it in the evenings for two weeks, I discovered a little card in the back giving the names and addresses of some Esperanto speakers around Europe. One was in the little German town where I lived.He had spoken Esperanto for over 50 years and was fluent. I spoke almost no German. He spoke no English. But after those two weeks, I phoned him and went to his house. We talked for four hours in only Esperanto. I joined the local Esperanto club. My Esperanto was much better than my German ever became. I still have the book.
8 persons have voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6074 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 8 of 19
15 December 2009 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Tommus,

That is a wonderful story and excellent example of the usefulness of Esperanto! Thanks for sharing with us.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version