Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5340 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 1 of 3
06 December 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
My language learning has been quite intensive, but also quite unfocussed for the last few months. I've been spending a lot of time on language study, but I don't seem able to focus on just one or two...

Anyway, the last couple of weeks I've mainly been studying Esperanto.

I started studying Esperanto in 2007, for about six weeks in the spring. I didn't pick it up again until near the end of the year, and then studied it quite regularly until summer 2008. I attended a couple of Esperanto events that summer (UK in Rotterdam and IJK in Szombathely) and by that time I was able to speak quite fluently and read ordinary literary texts, articles and the like with little difficulty. Between summer 2008 and summer 2009 I didn't study much, as I was spending time learning Polish (thanks to having a new Polish girlfriend...)

Since summer 2009 I've been studying Esperanto regularly again. At the moment I'm mainly working on improving my vocabulary. Although I can speak fairly fluently, my vocabulary's a bit limited. I started using the BYKI (Before You Know It) flashcard program with Polish in the summer and I think it's fantastic, so I've started using it with Esperanto too.

My goal at the moment is to learn all the words in the "Baza Radikaro Oficiala" - the official basic Esperanto vocabulary list published by the Academy of Esperanto. This includes about 2500 roots, most of which I already know or recognise. Because of the Esperanto word-building system your actual vocabulary is several times larger than the number of roots you know, so once I've learned the whole of the BRO my vocabulary should be getting pretty ample.

I recently ordered the main anthology of original Esperanto poetry (Esperanta Antologio, edited by my compatriot William Auld), which arrived in the post a couple of days ago - very exciting! I think it's arranged chronologically, so I'm thinking about working my way through it slowly from beginning to end (it's quite hefty at over 800 pages...) I'm hoping this will give me a better feel for the language's poetics, as most of the stuff I've read in Esperanto so far has been fairly prosaic. The first poem was La Espero, which of course as a good Esperantist I was already quite familiar with!

En la mondon venis nova sento,
Tra la mondo iras forta voko;
Per flugiloj de facila vento,
Nun de loko flugu ĝi al loko.

Ni ja esperu:)
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5658 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 3
06 December 2009 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Saluton! Via projekto estas interesa kaj mi deziras al vi sukseson kaj bonan lernadon!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 06 December 2009 at 9:47pm

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5340 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
12 December 2009 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
I've just posted my BYKI lists for Groups 1-6 of the BRO (with images and sound) on List Central. http://www.byki.com/tag/basic-esperanto-vocabulary

I've also posted lists for all the countries in the world (using the old-fashioned -ujo system!) and a basic chess vocabulary.

There were only a handful of words in groups 1-6 I didn't already know. I'm working on lists for Group 7 now, and there are suddenly quite a few words I'm not familiar with. I'll post my lists for Groups 7, 8 and 9 as I finish each group. I'm going to call these lists "Intermediate Esperanto Vocabulary", as I think a lot of the words can't be reasonably described as basic...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version