169 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 21 22 Next >>
vicizmax
Denmark
Joined 5489 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English

Message 57 of 169
26 May 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Many words in the English language today originated from the Danish language :) That's why you will find some words to be the same, or very similar in Danish. Besides, Danish grammar is extremely easy to learn. It's a very easy language! The only problem could be the pronounciation, but after practise, you should be able to master it eventually. I would love to help any people learning Danish! ;)

I know that's not alot of info, and this might have been mentioned before in this thread (I'm sorry, I couldn't be bothered reading 7 pages), but that's just a small insight to the Danish language.

Besides, all Danes speak English. I live in Denmark (and have done so all my life) and have not yet met a SINGLE DANE who couldn't speak English! Even the "homeless" people speak almost perfect English. So finding courses or people who speak both good English and Danish will be very easy (like me!)
2 persons have voted this message useful

ewomahony
Diglot
Groupie
England
Joined 5371 days ago

91 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French, Afrikaans

Message 58 of 169
10 June 2010 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
In terms of word order, how do Danish/Icelandic/Norwegian/Swedish compare to Dutch/English/German?

Could anyone give an example for each language?

Thanks,

Ed
1 person has voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 59 of 169
18 June 2010 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
hus - hus - hus - house - haus - huis

don't know how to say house in Icelandic but it's probably something similar.

For the exercise you want, just look at texts in the different languages and draw your own conclusions.
You could for example look at the same Wikipedia article in several languages.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6235 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 60 of 169
18 June 2010 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
hus - hus - hus - house - haus - huis

don't know how to say house in Icelandic but it's probably something similar.

For the exercise you want, just look at texts in the different languages and draw your own conclusions.
You could for example look at the same Wikipedia article in several languages.

Icelandic: hús

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6105 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 61 of 169
19 June 2010 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Man the awesomeness of Scandanavians' English makes me really worry that English will eventually dominate, reducing Danish, Swedisn and Norwegian (and Icelandic and possibly Faroese) to the status of minority languages, like the Celtic languages.

Someone tell me I'm completely wrong and that such a thing will never happen :(
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 62 of 169
19 June 2010 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
Man the awesomeness of Scandanavians' English makes me really worry that English will eventually dominate, reducing Danish, Swedisn and Norwegian (and Icelandic and possibly Faroese) to the status of minority languages, like the Celtic languages.

You are completely wrong, and such a thing will never happen, unless we are invaded by the UK or the US, and forced to use English only.

Man, if we can have three languages that are going strong in just little Norway, anything is possible. Even the Saami language, which to my great shame, was supressed by the authorities for so long, is alive and kicking. In the 60ies, children were forbidden to use that language at school, and it still survived.

They tried to shove a mixed variant of the two official Norwegian languages called "samnorsk" down our throats in the 70ies - utterly rejected. I spoke a variant of bokmål (Standard Norwegian) when I was a kid which is called "riksmål". I was in my 40ies before I even discovered that some of the things I use from that dialect, like the way I count, was actually not permissable in Norwegian. (Not that that makes me change my language, of course). We may be good at English, but we are also the most stubborn people on the planet when it comes to our mother tongue. So don't you worry. :-)
8 persons have voted this message useful

Soirdefete
Pentaglot
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5059 days ago

4 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Italian*, English, French, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Swedish

Message 63 of 169
21 June 2010 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:

Can I tell you something?
I love Scandinavian languages more than neo-latin languages such as my mothertongue or French! So I'm telling you you're completely wrong because I (and like me lots of people) will learn at least two of Scandinavian languages!
Until there'll be people who are interested in them and want to learn them, they won't die!

3 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6105 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 64 of 169
21 June 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
I hope you're right! Solfrid Cristin's post gives me hope though; I would never want to see those languages go.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version