United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4648 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 209 of 376
20 July 2011 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I find mine have changed over time as I've gotten better at learning languages.

In school I studied a lot of languages (Arabic, French, Latin), but never felt comfortable with any of them. I certainly learned a lot of rules, though.

In the Peace Corps I learned through immersion, and it was a breakthrough period for me ... I finally learned "how to learn" a language.

At first my favorite books were Teach Yourself and Living Language type books. I did quite well with these for learning Turkish and Bahasa, though I found I stalled out after about seven chapters of self-study, regardless of the language. I couldn't break through that 7-chapter barrier until I went to the country to be immersed.

A few years ago I became a Pimsleur believer. I loved how it set's a person up to know the feel and the rhythm of the language.

But now I find Pimsleur too slow. I think I finally cracked after French 2 spent four lessons - at least - on a dialogue about playing tennis. Now I'm trying an Assimil/FSI combination, and think I might use that moving forward. But I don't think this combination would've worked for me ten years ago!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 210 of 376
21 July 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
I had similar trouble with Teach Yourself Hindi and Teach Yourself German. Chapter 7 seems to be where the difficulty began for me as well. What I did in both cases was to get the TY Beginner book, complete it, and then carry on with the regular TY book. In the case of Hindi, they work together well without too much overlap. But TY German and TY Beginner's German have almost identical topics.
1 person has voted this message useful

strummer
Diglot
Switzerland
Joined 4681 days ago

38 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 211 of 376
22 July 2011 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
me assimil is all i need: dialogues, vocabulary, grammar
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeling
Tetraglot
Poland
Joined 4633 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Polish*, Russian, Ukrainian, English
Studies: German

Message 212 of 376
25 July 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I used to use Assimil and Teach Yourself and I find both od them useful IF combined with another materials (i.e. I always start with listening/watching TV).

tech33
Diglot
India
Joined 4611 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 213 of 376
13 August 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
I am surprised that no one has pointed out to Rocket French interactive audio course till now i found it to be good.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 214 of 376
13 August 2011 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
tech33 wrote:
I am surprised that no one has pointed out to Rocket French interactive audio course till now i found it to be good.

I've only been using these forums for a few months, but I don't think I've seen any of the Rocket courses mentioned. I am wary of Rocket courses because of all the hype, it's like the Michel Thomas claims times 10. And I've never seen a review of Rocket languages which I believed was actually independent and objective.

tech33
Diglot
India
Joined 4611 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 215 of 376
13 August 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
tech33 wrote:

I've only been using these forums for a few months, but I don't think I've seen any of the Rocket courses mentioned. I am wary of Rocket courses because of all the hype, it's like the Michel Thomas claims times 10. And I've never seen a review of Rocket languages which I believed was actually independent and objective.

Well after lot of search i was able to locate bellow post
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=26956&PN=6

Frankly speaking having used Rocket French interactive audio course and Michel Thomas i can definitely say Rocket French is not as good as claimed on many sites and it stands no where in front of MT. In RF audio chapters are smartly narrated in form of short stories and will keep you occupied but you will not be able to learn much from it if you are a beginner. This is my independent view :)

Edited by tech33 on 13 August 2011 at 11:20pm

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4605 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 216 of 376
21 August 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Rosetta Stone is my favorite program. It's fun because you get to look at beautiful pictures while studying your target language. Moreover, it's based on repetition, which is always a good thing.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 376 messages over 47 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version