Joined 4783 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: English

Message 201 of 376
08 May 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
the books and CDs which I'm using now for English language (American Accent):
Assimil
the best tool for the languages , I like its way for explaining the grammar and also its dialogues which are very funny!

Englishpod
I like it! Englishpod explain the idioms at very interesting way , I'm using it for increase my knowledge about Idioms and expressions .

American Accent Training
I think this is the best way ever to master pronouncing , just follow the instructions and you'll be can speak language at American accent without any foreign accent

English Discoveries
I'm using it for grammar and somehow for writing thing! , you can use it also for speaking ,listening and vocabulary but,I'm just using it for these two things!

Twilight (for reading)
I'm try to use it by read one page in my native language while listening to the audio then read its English equivalent , I think this novel is very interesting!
Anki
the best way to master vocabulary (bust you must to add audio for every single word!), I try also to use paper with it to achieve the best result!

my way to add any word to Anki:
front side:
the type of this word :(verb)
a gap sentence : ( e.g.: My name .... Adrean)
its meaning at my native language : ....
back side:
the word : (is)
its audio: (is.mp3)

that's all !!

Edited by freedom_2011 on 08 May 2011 at 3:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Spanishdream
United Kingdom
Joined 4897 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish, Italian

Message 202 of 376
12 May 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
What order do the Assimil courses go in?

Obviously Michel Thomas goes Foundation, Advanced, Booster, Vocab.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5205 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 203 of 376
12 May 2011 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Spanishdream wrote:
What order do the Assimil courses go in?

Obviously Michel Thomas goes Foundation, Advanced, Booster, Vocab.

For a long time the first level was " Language X) Without Toil" and became later called "
(Language X) With Ease" and most recently "New (Language X) With Ease". The next level is
the "Using (Language X)" series but for English speakers you can only get French and
Spanish for the second level.

For French speakers though there is a much greater selection of languages for both levels
with the lowest level called "(Language X) Sans Peine" and then "(Language X)
Perfectionnement".

blank_frackis
Scotland
Joined 5807 days ago

15 posts - 23 votes
Studies: French

Message 204 of 376
28 May 2011 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
If I had to choose one then it would clearly be Assimil. I live in the UK and I've no idea why it isn't more widely used here. Sure it's not for everyone - some people like a more rigid structure - but the amount of language covered in such a short period of time and with such a high retention rate puts it leaps and bounds ahead of anything else I've ever tried.
5 persons have voted this message useful

liuzf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4704 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishB2
Studies: French

Message 205 of 376
21 June 2011 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
I use Rosetta Stone when I first learn French.it's helpful to me.

aucuneidee
Pentaglot
Lebanon
Joined 4693 days ago

6 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Arabic (classical), German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Swedish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 206 of 376
21 June 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Mine is definitely Assimil, especially the Perfectionnement series. The level reached after completing these book is a decent one, and one isn't left with only a couple of "phrase book" type frases that Pimsleur provides you with.
4 persons have voted this message useful

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5131 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 207 of 376
22 June 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Yeah I'm very happy with Assimil. I just wish they offered more Advanced books in
English.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 208 of 376
25 June 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
For Hindi Teach Yourself is really the best there is, but it can be difficult. When I got bogged down in it, I got Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi (now called Get Started in...), which has an easier learning curve. It also covers a lot of useful areas that the longer TY Hindi does not, so they work together well. I also used TY Hindi conversation, which was great as well. Again, it overlaps the other two courses but also has some unique teaching. If you use TY Hindi, Rupert Snell (the author) has recorded free vocabulary podcasts to accompany it.

I also used TY German, and again got bogged down, so I got TY Beginner's German and TY German conversation. Unfortunately, the contents of the three courses are too close to each other.

Besides TY, I have used Living Language beginner's Hindi, which I was less impressed with. There are 6 CD's, but they have little use as they are mostly just the text read out. This might sound good, but can you imagine trying to follow when a CD reads out a verb table from a book?

I'm starting French now, using Elisabeth Smith's Fast French (published by TY as well). It's pretty good for an easy introduction, but I don't think you could complete it in 6 weeks at just 35 minutes a day. Don't worry, when I finish it I'll get something a bit more serious, but it's a nice way to ease into the language.

Can anyone comment on any of the Teach Yourself books for French? The reviews on Amazon are not as positive as for other languages.

Edit: another thing I always do when learning a language is to get music in the language if possible. Jupiter Jones for German, lots of Bollywood for Hindi, and now Guillaume Grand for French.

Edited by Jeffers on 25 June 2011 at 12:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 376 messages over 47 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version