Bilingual Pentaglot
Taiwan
Joined 5246 days ago

22 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: English, Mandarin*, Taiwanese*, Cantonese, French
Studies: German

Message 89 of 376
18 January 2010 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Thanks zorglub for your advice, I'll stick to Assimil for now (I'm enjoying the second wave, I felt that I've really
retain the material after doing the translation phase). I didn't actually begin with Assimil, I started with a computer
based program called Fluenz, which was very helpful and it did lay a solid foundation before Assimil.

On the question of Linguaphone complete course 1 (advertised beginner to advanced 0~3000 words), does the
course material overlap the Assimil New French with ease? or does it go beyond the with ease into the "using
french" (second book). Also, which will take me into more advanced level, Assimil 1+2 or Linguaphone 1+2?

thanks.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6782 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 90 of 376
23 January 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
I don't know about Linguaphone French.
Does any one ?

ungoo wrote:
Thanks zorglub for your advice, I'll stick to Assimil for now (I'm enjoying the second wave, I felt that I've really
retain the material after doing the translation phase). I didn't actually begin with Assimil, I started with a computer
based program called Fluenz, which was very helpful and it did lay a solid foundation before Assimil.

On the question of Linguaphone complete course 1 (advertised beginner to advanced 0~3000 words), does the
course material overlap the Assimil New French with ease? or does it go beyond the with ease into the "using
french" (second book). Also, which will take me into more advanced level, Assimil 1+2 or Linguaphone 1+2?

thanks.

1 person has voted this message useful

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5186 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 91 of 376
08 February 2010 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
About learning a language, vocab seems to be an achievement on its own, but comes most with practice... I guess the important thing (I'm talking about beginner's course!) should be to focus on accent and basic grammar structures... When it comes to grammar, dont get me wrong!!! I'm deeply convinced that one shouldnt open a grammar book until at least being basic (maybe aven advanced) fluency in the language... I'm focusing on modern greek right now using a very good method called "Le grec tout de suite" (Editions Les langues pour tous - 1st grade - this collection provides a few languages like hungarian, corean, french, Italian, etc.)... The method is quite simple... On 1st grade, you are provided with 20 sections from the basic ones till the difficult ones... the reader reads a sentence in french and then its equivalent in, let's say, greek.... So, what I'm doing right now is just listening!!! I didnt open the book until now... I'm only focusing on pronunciation...(just have a glance at Zorglub's post jan 17,2010) just like a child learning a new language!!!

Whoever has read "Die gerette Zunge" written by Elias Canetti, remembers this astonishing way of his learning German!! Living in Vienna with his mother at that time, he didnt speak a single word of German (only Spanish, English and bulgarian !!! Hmm!)... Her mother went to a bookshop then to buy a German grammar (english/german) and there started the unbelievable story of him learning German!!! She told him a first sentence in German, and he used to repeat it until his accent was approved of by his mother, she then told him the meaning of the sentence, and then went on with another sentence... There he went on for three months carving these sentences in his brain without any help of a book to remember them!! She then began to talk with him in German...When he entered the school, his German was perfect!!!
So the moral could be: you want to master a language? Find a woman with a lost love!!! Aah!!ah!ah! Whatever!! I just wanted to stress out the importance of listening to a language an repeat it before reading it...
Hope it would be useful!!!

Now as for a method I would quote some:
- Les langues pour tous (Editions-) french method
- Teach Yourself (Editions -) great method!! I used it for Welsh...
- Vocable - french method (monthly) (I learned Spanish with it... I would strongly recommend it, especially because of its interview : a casual interview is conducted with a native and I used to listen to it and memorize it without reading)
- Colloquial (Teach Yourself is better I guess)
- Agostini (italian method) Dont know anything about it but obviously it works !
(look at Lucas' videos : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6SH2U_rO6c&feature=related)

Edited by polyglossia on 14 February 2010 at 2:12am

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5357 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 92 of 376
06 March 2010 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
I found CoffeeBreak French to be very entertaining and effective when starting out with
the language, and it's nice for a little review. The host and student are very pleasant.

Virginian683
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6559 days ago

43 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Russian

Message 93 of 376
06 March 2010 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
Mine is the "Teach Yourself" series. Show me another program that includes written and aural practice and brings you up to intermediate level for under $20.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 94 of 376
06 March 2010 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
Virginian683 wrote:
Mine is the "Teach Yourself" series. Show me another program that includes written and aural practice and brings you up to intermediate level for under $20.

A freely-downloadable basic course from FSI? :-P
3 persons have voted this message useful

re4lover
Groupie
Egypt
Joined 5219 days ago

63 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: English, Russian, Modern Hebrew, Aramaic

Message 95 of 376
13 March 2010 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Virginian683
I'm agree with you
I'm using TYR Russian and it's really wonderful!!

stout
Ireland
Joined 5153 days ago

108 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 96 of 376
15 March 2010 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
My favourite language programmme is French Linguaphone Plus course,yes I know
the material is from the 1980's is somewhat dated,but I feel it gives me give a good solid and thorough foundation to the French language.

Also I use Hugo's French in Three Months.It's has a good balance of grammar and
conversation and it's textbook is pretty readable too.

I cannot stand the Michel Thomas French course.The gruff voice of Michel Thomas irritates me to no end and the 2 students in the course,well the male English student he's quite good,but the female American student is pure annoying and cleary dose not have a clue about learning French.

This discussion contains 376 messages over 47 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version