376 messages over 47 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 46 47 Next >>
kf4ebp
United States
Joined 5365 days ago

13 posts - 18 votes
Studies: English*, German

Message 81 of 376
02 January 2010 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently learning German. I have used Pimsleur, Rosetta Stone, FSI and Living Language.

I realized early on that FSi was not for beginners, so I ceased using it until a later date.

Living Language German Complete course will cure insomnia. I could not continue with it.

I completed Rosetta Stone German 1,2, and 3. It's not worth the money, in my opinion.

I am currently at level 2B with the Pimsleur course. At the present time, I put my vote with Pimsleur.
5 persons have voted this message useful

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6617 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 82 of 376
07 January 2010 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
I started using Assimil for French a few weeks ago, and this would be my favorite way to start.

I read voraciously in Spanish, and create flashcards (Mnemosyne) with examples.

I listen and watch Spanish radio and films when the opportunity arises, which is not that often.

I've used in the past Pimsleur, Rosetta Stone, LingQ, the Colloquial Series. I had the best success with Pimsleur, because I didn't overwhelm myself or have high expectations. I did just a lesson a day, without repeating. More than that, and I'd have lost my mind.

It's really about finding "any" program that is enjoyable enough to you coming back day after day, provided your love of learning is strong enough. But there is no one program that's going to teach you everything. I've been studying Spanish for several years now, and not a day goes by that I don't learn some new word or idiom.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5190 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 83 of 376
12 January 2010 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
I've used Assimil, Linguaphone (an older edition),and some computer-based program. Assimil gets my vote as the most complete. My biggest oomplaint about the computer-based program is that they don't go far enough. I think there's a lot of marketing fluff in most of these prograns.

I've just started using an online program for Spanish from BTB (Break the Barrier). It seems all right but so far it's quite elementary.

The one thing I'm finding very useful for Spanish is something called The perpetual language calendar from a company in Montreal. It's really for intermediate users. I basically learn a phrase or two a day, and it has been working wonders for me. The daily examples are supposed to be recorded soon. But nothing so far.

Edited by s_allard on 12 January 2010 at 2:15pm

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5229 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 84 of 376
12 January 2010 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
kf4ebp wrote:
I'm currently learning German. I have used Pimsleur, Rosetta Stone, FSI and Living Language.

I realized early on that FSi was not for beginners, so I ceased using it until a later date.

It is.

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6128 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 85 of 376
12 January 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Assimil.
Older Linguaphone courses.
Teach Yourself (mostly the older ones, but a few modern as well).
The new Living Language Ultimate series (haven't used these too much, but they look good).
Hugo.
Some courses/books dedicated to a specific language, like Penguin's Russian Course.

Hoopskidoodle
United States
Joined 5260 days ago

55 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 86 of 376
12 January 2010 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
...The daily examples are supposed to be recorded soon. But nothing so far.

Have you thought about making the audio examples using an online text-to-speech synthesizer? I've had good results (making French audio flash cards) with the one at Acapela-group.com. They even have a Québécois voice. Text-to-speech is not nearly as robotic-sounding as it was a few years ago.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ungoo
Bilingual Pentaglot
Taiwan
Joined 5224 days ago

22 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: English, Mandarin*, Taiwanese*, Cantonese, French
Studies: German

Message 87 of 376
16 January 2010 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Hello, first post on the forum, but I've been reading for awhile so I guess it's time that I pitch in on my favourite
programs.

I'm currently learning French. Though I've studied it for 2 yrs in junior high, a requirement in canada, but I've
forgotten everything. So you can say I'm learning from scratch. The programs that I use are:

Fluenz 1 & 2 - very very helpful imo, great for total beginner like me and it's fun. I think it's a great program to
start with and it certainly smoothed me in the Assimil courses.

Assimil with ease -currently on 51th lesson, entered the active wave. I can understand most of the french posts
on this forum and am able to pick up at least several words or a phrase in every sentences when watching
french film or listening to the broadcast. The language hasn't "clicked" with me yet, but I think i've made good
progress given that I've only on the second month of my French study.

Linguaphone complete 1 - just placed the order, will let you know how it goes. BTW, linguaphone has dropped
their price by 50% on their site www.linguaphone.co.uk, so it's affordable now.

I have a question for people who had purchased the new Linguaphone courses, should I start with the complete
course 1 or 2, given that I'm half way through Assimil? I'm worried that much of the material in Linguaphone
complete 1 has been covered in Assimil, so should I go for complete 1 as an reinforcement of what I've learned
or go for complete 2 to pick up new materials? (or alternatively forget about Linguaphone altogether and
continue my study with Assimil Using French?)

Any input will be nice, thanks!

Edited by ungoo on 16 January 2010 at 4:17am

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6760 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 88 of 376
17 January 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
ungoo wrote:
Hello, first post on the forum, but I've been reading for awhile so I guess it's time that I pitch in on my favourite
programs.
Any input will be nice, thanks!

Hell,
I'd strongly suggest you stick to Assimil for the 6 months it will last.
ANd that you "shadow " a lot.
When you're done and you're able to shadow properly (fast, almost synchrone, and still understanding what you're uttering) then another program like linguaphone will extend your scope. And you can shadow linguaphone.

If you think you're not gfetting a grasp of the language I'd suggest you try Michel Thomas and finish it before you continue with Assimil.
In my opinion Assimil is not great to start with because it's not quickly rewarding, and exposure to written material early is counterproductive for pronunciation.
But after Michel Thomas or Pimsleur: Assimil is "awesome" !

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 376 messages over 47 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version