171 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22 Next >>
DemiPuppet
United States
Joined 6368 days ago

19 posts - 55 votes 

Message 161 of 171
06 May 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee wrote:

Funny thing. The copyright isn't an issue--DLI material is actually "restricted material" in the government's view, so distribution of it violates rules other than copyright rules.

Many if not most of the DLI courses have been released as PDFs on the US Government's ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center) site, including military vocabulary documents. I don't believe any "National Security" restrictions apply.

Some of the documents may include third-party copyrighted material. The Mandarin course comes to mind.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4628 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 162 of 171
16 August 2012 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
DemiPuppet wrote:
Many if not most of the DLI courses have been released as PDFs on
the US Government's ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center) site, including
military vocabulary documents.

Apparently we cannot download PDFs anymore from ERIC.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 163 of 171
16 August 2012 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
DemiPuppet wrote:
Many if not most of the DLI courses have been released as PDFs on
the US Government's ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center) site, including
military vocabulary documents.

Apparently we cannot download PDFs anymore from ERIC.

ERIC reports that it's temporarily blocking access to the PDFs because of a privacy concern (maybe some author realized that ERIC was releasing a .pdf that more revealing than he/she thought?), and I sure hope that it doesn't become permanent.

daristani
United States
Joined 6925 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 164 of 171
23 September 2012 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
It looks as if ERIC is going to start making their PDFs available again soon, and that if you want a particular document, you can request it via e-mail. Here's the message that now appears on their homepage:
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------
Dear ERIC Community,

In early August we discovered that sensitive personally identifiable information appeared in some full text documents contained in the ERIC collection. Specifically, social security numbers and other highly sensitive information were found in multiple documents and in a way that could not easily be isolated. For that reason, we had to temporarily disable access to many full text documents.

Although these documents had been publicly available in microfiche for many years, the advent of Internet search engines has made it easier to find this information. Our number one concern is to ensure that any full-text documents we provide do not violate any individual's privacy. We believe that if any of us were to have our privacy compromised by an ERIC document, we would want the same consideration.

We are seeking to restore access to documents as soon as possible. In order to restore access to ERIC, we have to check every document to see if it contains personally identifiable information. Due to the quality of many of the documents, a large portion of the search has to be done by hand. This is a large undertaking and we are in the process of hiring a team to help restore access in a fast and responsive manner. We hope to get this team in place by late September and releasing large numbers of ERIC documents by the end of October. We will continue to release documents after that point on a rolling basis.

To minimize the burden on our users, we will prioritize searching the documents that users request. If you would like to request a PDF to be returned online, please email ERICRequests@ed.gov with the record number (such as ED263102). Documents will be returned on a rolling basis and may take several weeks, but we are working as fast as possible.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and want to thank you for bearing with us through this unexpected delay.

The ERIC Team
3 persons have voted this message useful

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6373 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 165 of 171
16 October 2012 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
asianova wrote:
gustav521 wrote:
Hello "liddytime": I have been ill, but wanted to
thank you for that
very useful lead!

I was able to get the Georgian course!

- Gustav521

Hi! Could you share, by any chance, the Georgian audiofile you mention? I've got the SF
200 hours Georgian PDF file, and it looks like it's a good course, so I'd be grateful
for the audio to it. I can't google it up anywhere.

I would also be very interested in the pdf and audio for the Georgian course.

Many thanks.

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4663 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 166 of 171
22 October 2012 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Surely some of us have already downloaded some of these programs before ERIC shut them down (why do they think that language programs would have PII in them?...)

Does anyone have the Persian DLI courses downloaded already who'd be willing to send them to me? Thanks

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 167 of 171
22 October 2012 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I have the pdfs for volumes 1-8. Pm me. I'll send them to you..

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4663 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 168 of 171
22 October 2012 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
inguanamon, thanks! Someone else already helped me out though. This forum is great!

This discussion contains 171 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version