Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
erinserb
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 7006 days ago

135 posts - 144 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 8
28 November 2005 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone come across the "all-Esperanto" channel, now on the web?

It has its origin from Brazil, and it seems like a site with quite a potential for growth and expanded viewership in the future.

It is: http://internacia.tv/

Also, I would like to know if anyone in our forum is interested, knows, and/or practices their Esperanto?

What does anyone think about the future of this language, and from those who are proficient/fluent, can it be studied at the same time with say; French or Spanish?

2 persons have voted this message useful

hydrohphoenix
Diglot
United States
Joined 6776 days ago

16 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 2 of 8
30 November 2005 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I do not know Esperanto, but have read much about it and find it interesting. I think it is the best candidate for a world-language based on its characteristics, as opposed to its frequency.
1 person has voted this message useful

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6752 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 3 of 8
30 November 2005 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
I will do Esperanto eventually, I don't know whether to do French or Esperanto next.
Resources such as this for a language that is as esoteric as esperanto are very valuable.

JessXe
United States
Joined 6352 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto

Message 4 of 8
27 December 2006 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
I am a native english speaker and I have decided to make esperanto my first foreign language as kind of a stepping stone.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6475 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 5 of 8
27 December 2006 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
Walshy wrote:
Resources such as this for a language that is as esoteric as esperanto are very valuable.

Actually, Esperanto is one of the languages with the best availability of language learning materials and almost all of them are free. Google is your friend...

For example, there's a free Esperanto course available, which took me about 20-30 hours to complete and which is fun. At the end of the course I had a solid foundation of the language and was able to read most texts with a dictionary. The German Esperanto Foundation even provided a teacher that corrected my solutions for free; maybe they do that in other countries as well.

2 persons have voted this message useful

T0dd
Diglot
United States
Joined 6359 days ago

17 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: French

Message 6 of 8
28 December 2006 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
erinserb wrote:

Also, I would like to know if anyone in our forum is interested, knows, and/or practices their Esperanto?

What does anyone think about the future of this language, and from those who are proficient/fluent, can it be studied at the same time with say; French or Spanish?

I have known Esperanto for 20 years, and I practice it daily, in the sense of reading and writing it, mostly on the internet. Conversational opportunities are harder to come by, because you have to make an effort to find other Esperanto speakers. I've done that, however, and I've found it very rewarding.

As for the future of Esperanto....it's hard to say. Zamenhof, its creator, thought that within a generation or so it would be embraced by the world as a neutral second language. That clearly hasn't happened, and I have my doubts that it ever will. My interest in Esperanto, however, is not contingent upon that. It is a genuine international language *now*, even if it isn't *the* international language, in terms of recognition and acceptance. In some ways, Esperanto as it is offers more possibilities than it would if it became the "accepted" international language. As things currently are, wherever you go in the world there are likely to be Esperanto speakers who want to meet you and talk to you and get to know you. We Esperanto speakers share something special with each other that creates a social bond, a friendship. If you travel to Portugal, no one will want to talk with you, or share a drink with you, simply because you speak English, or Portuguese. But if you speak Esperanto, somebody *will* want to spend some time with you. For that reason, I'm more interested in the *present* of Esperanto, and if its future resembles its present, as it probably will, that's not a bad thing at all.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 8
21 April 2010 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
I havde checked the link, but it is not a TV station - just a homepage with the .tv ending (Tuvalu)

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 8 of 8
25 April 2010 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
It used to be, but it closed in 2006.

Googling brought up esperanto-tv.com, but I'd not heard of it.

In more mainstream use, there's the verda filmejo and dotsub, though the latter is more reminiscent of youtube and of more mixed quality.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version