Groupie
United States
Joined 5746 days ago

65 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 3
23 July 2009 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Professor Arguelles,

I'm about to begin college and a career as a language professor is something that I might find very interesting and fulfulling. However, if I were to go into that field I would like to teach multiple languages, not just one. As you teach multiple languages, and it seems very unlikely that you would have had the time to take the classes necessary to get degrees in each one, I was wondering how it is that you managed to gain the qualifications to achieve this. Thank you (and any other forum members who have any information to give) in advance for taking the time to reply.

Beau
1 person has voted this message useful

vikramkr
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5855 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 2 of 3
10 August 2009 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
As a college student, I can tell you that it is very possible to get two language degrees. If for whatever reason you
decide against getting a degree in a language you wish to teach, you can usually get some sort of certification that
proves your proficiency. For example, Diplôme approfondi de langue française (French) or Zentrale
Oberstufenprüfung (German). Additionally, many language majors offer a teaching specialization option, which you
should (obviously) opt for if it's available.

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5604 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 3 of 3
22 April 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Get the test scores in the languages to prove your fluency (like the ones mentioned above or DELE, JLPT, TOPIK etc) because any applications you do will need these. Once you've got this/these, the best thing to do would be do a course (either a BA or an MA, maybe a certificate but an official degree would be better) in a good university of the country of your choice/language. The course would be something like "Teaching (language) to Foreign Learners" etc. Once you have that degree you'd be ready to work anywhere.

Personally I'd advice getting into Teaching English first. Teaching your own language first will be a hundred times easier than teaching in a 2nd language because you'll always be able to check your grammar with your native knowledge/it's good practice/it'll make you more hirable should you wish to begin teaching in a foreign country.

This is the best advice to my knowledge/experience. Hope this helps.

edit; just noticed how ancient this thread was. Hope it helps someone with a similar query

Edited by crafedog on 22 April 2010 at 12:58pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version