59 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next >>
oddbod
United Kingdom
Joined 4294 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 49 of 59
22 September 2012 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know if it is still possible to find Volume 14 of the 1981 DLI Basic MSA course? I have searched for this volume but none of the links that purport to lead to it function any more.

I also noticed that the document entitled "The Writing System of Modern Standard Arabic", which is part of the same DLI Basic MSA course and which I obtained from the main source for that course, is missing a few pages. This is most likely an error that occurred when it was originally scanned, and is a pity as it looks to be a very good introduction to the ruq'ah script. Does anyone know if there is a complete version of that document available on-line?

I am also looking at the FSI Modern written Arabic course. Page vii of Volume 2 mentions that FSI/Beirut was putting together a reference grammar as a companion to the course called "A Learner's Synopsis of Modern Written Arabic". Does anyone know whether that document was ever written?

1 person has voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6926 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 50 of 59
22 September 2012 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
I've just uploaded vol 14 at the following site:

http://uploadmirrors.com/download/X3XZ4R7C/Volume_14.pdf

If you can specify what pages are missing from the writing system book, I'll check to see if my copy is more complete; if so, I'll upload it for you.

Re the third question, I'm not aware of such a book, but happily defer to any others who might be better informed.

Edited by daristani on 22 September 2012 at 9:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

oddbod
United Kingdom
Joined 4294 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 51 of 59
22 September 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your generosity Daristani. I am most grateful.

The pages that are missing from the writing system book are 54, 58, 68, 78, 98, and 112.

daristani
United States
Joined 6926 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 

Message 52 of 59
22 September 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I just checked my copy of the writing book, and unfortunately it's missing the same pages (and seems to have a fair number of pages out of order as well).

I assume that whatever copies are available online likely derive from scanning by a probably low-level employee at DLI who was less than careful with the job.

(My copy of the course derived from the one that forum member Fat Tony put online from the DLI materials he had access to. I think that the collection of resources available at the site at http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/ likely derives from the same scanned materials, but was put online after he made some of the materials available. I suspect that the missing volume 14 on that site also likely derives from carelessness.)

In any event, I still think that the DLI and FSI Arabic materials are an amazing resource to have available at no cost, even if some pages are missing, and I wish you luck in working with them.

oddbod
United Kingdom
Joined 4294 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 53 of 59
22 September 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I agree. The FSI and DLI Arabic materials are superb, even if one of the documents is missing a few pages. Thank you once again for making volume 14 available.

I have quickly looked through the copy of the volume that you provided, and the quality of the scan appears to differ from that of the documents on the JLU site. The pages of your scan do not exhibit the noise artefacts that appear on most of the other volumes from the JLU site, and your copy also contains the full cover page for the volume. None of the volumes from the JLU site have their cover pages.

Unfortunately I missed the materials that Fat Tony was able to post online, and so I do not know if there are any other differences between those and the materials on the JLU site. The differences that I have seen are cosmetic, and do not materially detract from what is a superb resource. I will certainly enjoy working through the materials.

daristani
United States
Joined 6926 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 

Message 54 of 59
23 September 2012 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Hmmm...

It may be that I got the Arabic books somewhere else than from what Fat Tony uploaded, possibly from a torrent or something. I haven't compared the texts for quality with the ones on the JLU site. But on the assumption that the ones I have may be in some way clearer or more readable, I've rar'ed them and uploaded them to the following site:

http://uploadmirrors.com/download/1Z8027JN/MSA_Basic_Course_ Text.rar

Maybe these will be easier to use, or at least aesthetically more pleasant to work with. At any rate, good luck!

PS: You might want to use this as well, in case you don't already have it; it was likewise produced by DLI:

All the Arabic You Never Learned the First Time Around

http://www.mediafire.com/?1hepkzzczlj5z4i

Edited by daristani on 23 September 2012 at 12:27am

oddbod
United Kingdom
Joined 4294 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 55 of 59
23 September 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Once again, thank you very much for your generosity Daristani. I will take a look at the texts that you rar'ed and see how they compare to the files that I obtained from the JLU site.

'All the Arabic You never Learned the First Time Around' does look superb, and is a book that I will definitely use.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5933 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 56 of 59
31 May 2013 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
A quick summary of FSI French vs. DLI French from my perspective.

In favour of FSI
- The recordings are of much higher quality than DLI
- FSI has more detailed grammar explanations
- Extensive audio drills that cover written and spoken French.

In favour of DLI
- The situations in the DLI course are very broad, and not military related, which was a surprise. E.g. vacations in Nice, at the Circus
- DLI teaches more vocabulary and moves a lot faster.
- The French taught in DLI is closer to the spoken language.
- Very clear instructions. (You do a lesson a day)

In summary, I like the FSI French Basic Course, but I think the DLI Basic Course is superior. The biggest drawback with the DLI course, is that the available audio is very poor quality.

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version