Panama
Joined 4955 days ago

3 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English, French*, Indonesian, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Hindi, Greek, Russian

Message 25 of 59
09 March 2011 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Very interesting thread.

I approached different methods to start with Modern Greek. By far and by large, the FSI and DLI are the best. FSI does throws you into the language a bit brutally, I would say: the rate of speech in their audio - right from the outset - is mind boggling.I settled for the more gentle but absolutly perfect DLI course. It is undoubtedly one of the very best courses I ever came across in any language. Granted, we are not all interested in military talk but the little specialized vocabulary thrown in that we have no use for is a small price to pay for an otherwise so impeccable course.

I just completed the Pimsleur's Russian in 3 volumes (you can read my assessment in the Russian section) I am now go further with DLI's Russian. If it is half as good as the DLI Greek course, it is still bound to be excellent.
1 person has voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6931 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 26 of 59
09 March 2011 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Just as a reminder for those not aware of the site, most of the older DLI materials that are being discussed here can be downloaded at:

http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/

Each language has a different mix of materials, and the site is not all that well organized in terms of making it clear what's what, but for a good many of the languages covered, there are extensive PDFs and MP3 audio to accompany. Some of them are indeed a bit aged in terms of terminology, but I still think that they offer a great deal of useful material for a good many languages.

Edited by daristani on 09 March 2011 at 3:36pm

15 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4803 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 27 of 59
23 April 2011 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
Just as a reminder for those not aware of the site, most of the older DLI materials that are being discussed here can be downloaded at:

http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/

Thanks for the link

AntonioJBrown
New Zealand
Joined 5331 days ago

10 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 28 of 59
30 June 2011 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
Is anybody learning Spanish from the DLI Basic course that can be found at the above link. I'm planning on restarting my Spanish study (after failing badly with Assimil some time ago). The course materials I'm looking at are the ones dated December 1997

Looking through the textbook though, while there is some instruction, it appears to consist mostly of a series of activities. So presumably during the class the teacher delivers a lecture, and then the students complete the activities with the teacher helping. So while a lot of vocabulary is used in the activities it is not defined anywhere before it is used (although it does appear later in the glossary). Are you supposed to refer to the glossary while doing the activity?

So does anyone know if there is a separate instructor's manual? Also is anyone learning Spanish using these materials? If so what is your strategy for tackling the material.

Also I'm kind of curious why the audio is such bad quality considering the course isn't that old? There is so much popping and hissing its really putting me off. I think I might have to switch to Platiquemos, even though the DLI course looks to be quite good.
2 persons have voted this message useful

brumblebee
Diglot
United States
Joined 6562 days ago

206 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 29 of 59
12 December 2011 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
Where can you buy FSI? I've tried to look for it online, but the websites I've found don't seem entirely legitimate.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5352 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 30 of 59
12 December 2011 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
The FSI online websites are legit as the US government, in an act of immense generosity, allow the courses to be freely distributed. Here is normally best

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php

Norvasc
Canada
Joined 6276 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Studies: French

Message 31 of 59
13 December 2011 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Does anyone have instructions to download the entire french DLI as one download instead of
breaking per lessons.

daristani
United States
Joined 6931 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 32 of 59
14 December 2011 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
I think you can download the entire FSI Basic French course here:

http://www.freelanguagecourses.com/language/french/french-la nguage-courses-8/

and some of the other FSI courses can also be found for downloading in "one gulp" from here:

http://www.freelanguagecourses.com/direct-downloads/

although in some cases the FSI site provided above by Elexi has more materials available, such as for the Turkish course.

ADDENDUM: Norvasc, my eyes read "DLI" but my brain said "FSI"; I've rar'ed the DLI French course and have uploaded it here:

http://ifile.it/j0y19be

(Note that you'll have to un-rar it after you download it.) It's a fairly large file, at almost 600 megabytes. Good luck in your studies.

Edited by daristani on 14 December 2011 at 5:49pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version