Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
59 messages over 8 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5927 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 9 of 59
20 July 2009 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
@Tombstone
If only the British system was so professional! I've recently got access to some of your
materials (JLU etc) and they are fantastic; ours are hopelessly amateur in comparison.
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5456 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 59
21 July 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
Tombstone wrote:
"DLI courses are primarily for the military. You will learn how to say "The enemy tanks are approaching our trenches" and the like." -- Splog

-- You couldn't be more wrong.
The school teaches at a much higher level than you imply and take their instruction much more seriously.

I am sure you are absolutely right. The folks who attend DLI are without doubt extremely capable and the instruction is without doubt excellent. My comment referred to the DLI course materials that have been made available to the public (e.g. the old courses on ERIC) and contrasted them with the available FSI materials. These DLI materials (at least those I have looked through) are certainly very demanding, but are very much military focused. I apologise wholeheartedly if I have misrepresented them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

pmiller
Account terminated
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5461 days ago

99 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 59
21 July 2009 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
So if I understand correctly, the DLI material available to the public is not what is currently being taught at DLI?

Is there any way to get the current course materials?

yobar
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6819 days ago

52 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: German, Spanish, Irish

Message 13 of 59
24 July 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Tombstone wrote:
On the flipside, the school does eat their young.

Because the key is to get trained linguists into the field, they have little tolerace for those who lack the dedication necessary to keep up with the demands or who exhibit a tin ear when it comes to picking up a language.

No doubt! I remember the stress of First Phase of Basic Russian course, the "do or die" phase, academically. I remember seeing friends wash out. Our military cadre used the threat of being sent to cook or medic schools as a motivator. If any of you Americans decide to go the DLI route, make sure you have the knack for languages and plan to work your asses off! You slack, you pack.

maaku
United States
Joined 5361 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 14 of 59
25 October 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
pmiller wrote:
So if I understand correctly, the DLI material available to the public
is not what is currently being taught at DLI?

Is there any way to get the current course materials?

*BUMP*

Is anyone able to answer pmiller's question? I'm curious as well.

lenya
Diglot
UkraineRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5342 days ago

15 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French, German

Message 15 of 59
25 November 2009 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
I am familiar with only FSI and DLI French Basic courses. FSI is good but DLI is simply
the best. I think that these are the only courses that really teach a language. All
commercial languages courses make just an introduction to a language and will never lead
you farther than a beginner level.

Thuan
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6717 days ago

133 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese, German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Romanian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 16 of 59
25 November 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
I think some are confusing the DLI Survival Kits with the actual DLI courses. I downloaded the DLI Survival Kits last year to study Romanian and it was mainly a phrasebook filled with mainly military terms.

A few weeks ago I found a link here to complete DLI courses from the 60s and from what I`ve seen this is probably the most comprehensive course for Romanian available. It looks very similar from the FSI courses that I`ve seen. The lessons are around 1600 long, and there are several textbooks included like books with military terminology or vocabulary for interrogations, a book on the history of Romania, and there`s even a songbook in there. I can`t judge the content as I`ve yet to use the course. But if I`m serious about Romanian, the DLI course certainly seems to deliver the goods.

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version