Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
Noregi
Norway
Joined 5404 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes

Message 1 of 4
13 July 2009 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Dear Dr. Arguelles

Let me begin by introducing myself: My name is Knut Andersen, I am 16 years old and I come from Norway. I have been thinking for quite some time now on whether I should contact you or not, but in the end, I decided I would since I cannot seem to find the necessary information on my own.

Why I have contacted you:

Some months ago, me and my family travelled to the Netherlands. My grandmother is from North Holland, and we travelled with her to see where she lived when she was young. During our stay there I noticed several poeple speaking a language that was quite different from the Dutch language I usually heard everywhere. When I aksed my grandmother she told me it was called Frisian. Later, when I was back home, I made an attempt of locating some dictionaries and/or phrasebooks so that i could see how the language "looked" like. I eventually used Wikipedia to get myself an overview over the language (since i didn't but I still wasn't satisfied with what I found. I eventually resorted to YouTube, where I found your excellent video about Frisian. I am very grateful that you took your time to make such a video! I still wonder one thing, though: in your video you mentioned the book "Bûter, brea, en griene tsiis" as a good manual in learning Frisian. But since I aspire to learn this language, I wonder if you know any more good books (dictionaries, readers, grammar and so on) that I can use to learn this very interesting language?

Thank you very much in advance!

Your sincerely,

Knut Andersen.

PS.
I wonder if you also know some good books to learn Dutch as well? I really like the way it sounds, and I would like to take part in conversations with my grandmother in her native tongue, and it would be a great way to try and learn yet another very intruiging language. I sincerely hope I am not too much of a bother, professor!
1 person has voted this message useful

AlejandroMendoz
Canada
Joined 5416 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Studies: French, English*

Message 2 of 4
14 August 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
Hopefully Prof. Arguelles will respond when he has time.

I happen to know that there is a grammar of this language that can be found online. It
was not to my taste but perhaps you can find some use for it.

Since it's late i will have to go look it up at a later time.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6700 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 4
14 August 2009 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Knut, I just found this page which is full of resources:
I-Friesland

A grammar here:
http://www.archive.org/details/phonologygrammar00sipmuoft

Jeff Lindqvist
2 persons have voted this message useful

AlejandroMendoz
Canada
Joined 5416 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Studies: French, English*

Message 4 of 4
15 August 2009 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Oh, it appears you found the grammar i was talking about. Thanks Jeff!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version